Disk drive headache

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
Symoon
Archivist

Disk drive headache

Post by Symoon »

Hi,

This weekend I tried to set up an Oric + drive config.
As usual as soon as I touch disks, it failed miserably.

I had three Orics (two of which had already been using disks), and two drives (a master Microdisc, and a slave which I use with a controller card made by Silicebit). I had two different cables, and an amplibus too (which I never had to use previously).
I was trying to boot disks I had transfered as DSK files 3 weeks ago, so I know at least they were working like a charm on an old PC with a 3" drive (which is far away from where I am right now).

Whatever combination I tried today (I tried 7 or 8 different of them), the result is the same:
- I get the "insert system disc" message
- the drive+disk make spinning noise
- nothing happens, like the drive doesn't even try finding a track (spinning noise, but no reading noise)

I posted this on CEO's forum and Jede says he has the same problem with several drives.

Would anyone have an idea about what's happenning, and how to solve this?
Cheers
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Disk drive headache

Post by Dbug »

Is it possible that the drive switches are set-up to be 1, 2 or 3 instead of 0?

Typically PCs have weird floppy setups with twisted cables because many drives have weird ID number, often a PC drive can't be used on an Atari ST because the ID is not correct, maybe the same thing happened to the drive if you used it to do some transfer, like you had plugged a 3.5" to be drive A and had setup the 3" to be drive B ?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:37 pm Is it possible that the drive switches are set-up to be 1, 2 or 3 instead of 0?
Nope, I haven't changed anything to those drives that were working a few years back. And none of those cables I'm using are twisted (same: didn't change anything here)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Symoon, do you have a Gotek?
If yes this would be an easy option to be sure that controllers are OK and the problem is really in the drives.
Other things to try:
- clean carefully the heads;
- check the PSU voltages (+5V and +12V);
- iirc, you have Greaseweazle - it can help to measure and adjust drive's rotation speed...
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Are you using the original 3" drives? Maybe the disks are not in good condition. I either use a Gotek (which works like a charm) or 3.5 drives and disks I write with write2dsk.

If it were a matter of amplibus (bus signals, delays...) you would probably have a machine that does not boot to the insert disk message, or ot loads things but you get errors. That is, in my experience, the usual behaviour.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

iss wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:03 pm Symoon, do you have a Gotek?
If yes this would be an easy option to be sure that controllers are OK and the problem is really in the drives.
I do but not at the same place ;) That being said, next to inoperative 3" drives, I also have 3.5" drives that could be used for the same test. I sadly had no time for any further test yesterday, and now I'm back in Paris.
Other things to try:
- clean carefully the heads;
- check the PSU voltages (+5V and +12V);
- iirc, you have Greaseweazle - it can help to measure and adjust drive's rotation speed...
Any pointer on how to do this, especially for head cleaning and using Greaseweazle for rotation speed matters? (yes I do have one and it can easily be carried to any place). Consider I have never opened a drive :D
As for checking voltages, I don't have any tool for that, but I forgot to say: one of the drives was powered by the original Oric PSU, the other by a PC PSU.
Chema wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:08 pm Are you using the original 3" drives? Maybe the disks are not in good condition. I either use a Gotek (which works like a charm) or 3.5 drives and disks I write with write2dsk.
I've been testing a disk made with write2dsk, and older disks which were successfully transfered by Readdsk something like 3 weeks ago.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "original 3" drives"? (I think they're from 1987)
If it were a matter of amplibus (bus signals, delays...) you would probably have a machine that does not boot to the insert disk message, or ot loads things but you get errors. That is, in my experience, the usual behaviour.
Ok thanks! I'll keep the amplibus on next time I try even if it worked without before, I guess it can't do any harm.