Imma Just Gonna Leave This Here….

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Imma Just Gonna Leave This Here….

Post by ibisum »

Shades of jede's Twilighte card?

https://orix.oric.org
DigitalDunc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by DigitalDunc »

Seems that the community can always dig out something awesome to show the world each and every day!

Loving it.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Well, this has been a very persistent community, there have been lots of great projects popping up over the years .. truly a clique of Oric lovers. ;)
DigitalDunc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by DigitalDunc »

Today I ordered new PCB's for the keyboard assembly. Here's a simple snapshot. Hopefully by Mid-january, I'll be able to play games on a fully new Oric without any original parts (HCS10017 exempted).

It's designed around Cherry MX key switches for that customizeable feel. <-- Is that how you spell cusomizeable? Whatever.
Attachments
Oriclone KB.png
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

DigitalDunc wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:14 pm I really want people to be able to load and save to SD card and use a joystick too. I also need to get my hands on some addons to ensure hardware compatibility. I guess it’s time to go shopping.
Maybe with two chips like 74LS541 we can connect two joysticks, the first ship select pin connected to strobe signal with a microswitch to choose joystick/printer, the second one to bit6 bit7 (each chip) to select the joystick.
DigitalDunc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by DigitalDunc »

I like the look of the ‘541’s though I think there’s going to be more to it than these offer. I want to retain the printer port so that one doesn’t have to unplug it. This is a minor complication to keep things interesting. Maybe a few modern bilateral switches is the answer, this meaning that many of the things people might plug in would still work with the extra circuitry appearing invisible. One could even swap the direction of the port pins and it’d still work as long as the switches don’t add something unfortunate to the mix.

I do appreciate your suggestions by the way, and must confess I haven’t been taking advantage of the better pin out these 540/541 ICs offer.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

DigitalDunc wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:21 pm Today I ordered new PCB's for the keyboard assembly. Here's a simple snapshot. Hopefully by Mid-january, I'll be able to play games on a fully new Oric without any original parts (HCS10017 exempted).

It's designed around Cherry MX key switches for that customizeable feel. <-- Is that how you spell cusomizeable? Whatever.
I like the idea, do you think it's possible to find keycaps that are similar to the Oric markings, or maybe have custom made ones?
Considering the number of Atmos with damaged keyboards, a replacement keyboard could actually be cool, specially if you can select the type of mechanical switch :D

Maybe even add some small leds on the PCB to have some kind of backlight to play in the dark?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

DigitalDunc wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:21 pm Today I ordered new PCB's for the keyboard assembly. Here's a simple snapshot. Hopefully by Mid-january, I'll be able to play games on a fully new Oric without any original parts (HCS10017 exempted).

Mmm maybe it is a good opportunity to create a replacement for the ULA using the information from the decapping project :)
https://oric.signal11.org.uk/html/ula-dieshot.htm
DigitalDunc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by DigitalDunc »

Now that you mention it, I do have a Verilog description of it I downloaded it off the t’internet (although I may be wrong, it may be VHDL, it’s been a while). I don’t know how good it is and will just have to get stuck in over mid 2022.

FPGAs aren’t a magic bullet (and I have a lot of learning to do), but rather a hideously complicated mess requiring lots of support parts. At least you can get them in TQFP, as well as BGAs, I don’t fancy going to a four or six layer board for escape routing.

I did keep the system as a whole through hole on purpose to keep it friendly for the hobbyist solder jockey (that’s the likes of me folks), but a small module with SMTs that plugs in wouldn’t kill ‘em.

It is eventually totally worth it though.