Just in case… (nothing to see here)

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Just in case… (nothing to see here)

Post by mmu_man »

For some yet unspecified project(s) I've been looking at possible cases, and one cheap option was to reuse DVD cases, but these are so cheaply done they have holes on the covers, on one side for clips holding the leaflet, on the other side to hold the disk, so this means at least the top side should get some extra material to cover it. Not like I don't have ideas for that but… Also, DVD boxes are quite thin.

Then I thought, hey, VHS boxes are thicker and are being thrown away anyway. The material is the same (Polypropylene), just a bit thicker, and the faces are plain mostly. Of course they have different dimensions than the DVD cases because, well. But it happens that the height is about the same as the width of the ORIC backplane, and their thickness is also similar to its height.

However, because people can't standardize on things there are actually many variants of such boxes, with clips being put about anywhere, so either one would need to cut those to put ports and add stuff back to close them, or settle on a specific box model, keep the clips and put ports around.

I did a little survey of what VHS boxes I could get my hands on, but I'd like others to also check if you have some, to see how widespread each is and much we could source (PDF here, make sure you print without scaling, the 10cm lines should help):
scan_VHS_case_classification_001.png
I drew each box side and where the clips were to classify them.
Some are nicer than others, I think the 2nd one is probably the better candidate (the one with an "ADEQUATION PACKAGING…" marking inside). Also, I know white cases exist, I wonder if we can find white one of this type. Then we'd have nice cheap casing for <whatever topsecret project />. Anyone has VHS boxes around?
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Just in case… (nothing to see here)

Post by mmu_man »

For the record (for myself actually), Dbug's Algol screen need approximately 13.8cm x 17.7cm for its feet, judging by the picture. 7.5kg is quite a lot though, polypropylene alone won't hold it.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Hello,
I'm not sure i've understand properly all the different scenarii provides with different cases.
I've some chs boxes rigid , or quite flexible.
I think it's a little bit too big for tap files. I'll make a photo test this afternoon
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Oooh in fast some big cases are as big as vhs cases
Attachments
20201107_142518.jpg
20201107_142445.jpg
20201107_142439.jpg
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Hmm no I'm not interested in cardboard, crystal, or those very thin and hollow boxes.
Looks like the Cobra Pinball box is a retro-fitted VHS one though.

And it's not meant to bundle software. The intent is to put hardware (electronics) inside. So the PCB has to be designed to fit in including with the closing clips, so I must ensure I can source enough of the precise model I'll choose.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Interestingly, a 3.5" floppy drive fits exactly inside a VHS case… the 3" ones are too tall though sadly.