TEAC FD-55GFR - best 5.25" floppy for retro hacking

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
iss
Wing Commander

TEAC FD-55GFR - best 5.25" floppy for retro hacking

Post by iss »

Hello all,

This is not directly related to Oric but I'm posting it here with the hope that the info will be helpful.
In the attached archive you will find info about the famous floppy drive TEAC FD-55GFR and some hardware mods which can be done with it allowing HD/DD mode selection and 80/40 tracks (i.e. double stepping rate useful to make the drive to act as Apple DiskII).

PS.: Attached here is only the main PDF, the whole archive is ~65MB and is available for some time here: TEAC-FD-55xxx-info.zip.
Attachments
TEAC-FD-55GFR.pdf
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 214 times
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: TEAC FD-55GFR - best 5.25" floppy for retro hacking

Post by Dbug »

For the ones wondering where this post came from, it was ISS's answer to me playing with a similar drive I got yesterday:

For the ones wondering, KryoFlux is a usb disk controller, similar to the Greaseweasel/Catweasel devices, which can be used to do deep reading and writting of floppy disks, basically the opposite of what a HxC or Gotek does, so you can extract (or rewrite) the content of proper floppies for archiving purposes (including making emulator files from these dumps).

I made the video because the guy who had the drive said he was "ok to give instead of sell, as long as I actually use it" :)
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Re: TEAC FD-55GFR - best 5.25" floppy for retro hacking

Post by Silicebit. »

I like the TEAC disk drives!

The 5.25" disk drive is a TEAC FD-55BV-34-U, and the 3.5" disk drive is a TEAC FD-235HF. Both works great!
Oric user since 1984. YouTube