PC-style audio output socket

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
kaydav
Officer Cadet

PC-style audio output socket

Post by kaydav »

Since I have to replace the speaker of my Oric, it got me wondering if anyone has made any modifications to allow for the Oric to be connected up to a pair of speakers like for a PC. Maybe something like:
  1. DIN-to-3.5mm cable, plugged into external sound card + speakers.
  2. DIN-to-3.5mm adapter if there is such a thing.
  3. 3.5mm output socket added somewhere in the audio circuiting. Next to or instead of the speaker?
Is this kind of thing doable?
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: PC-style audio output socket

Post by Dbug »

Technically, the audio output is already available on some of the pints of the TAPE DIN connector on the back :)
The only missing thing is that this does not disconnect the internal speaker.
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

Yes, it's doable, you will miss some of the delights of the speaker being overloaded and driven to distortion though :)

As you look into the tape connector (5 pin), the extreme left and right pins are cassette in/out. The centre (top) pin is ground.

The two remaining pins directly next to ground are tied together, and are an audio in-out.

You could feed audio in here, with caution, it would get amplified and come out of the speaker in Oric. It's intended as an output though, and it provides a mono signal which will need amplifying (so treat it as line level, into powered speakers or a Hi-Fi amp etc.)

If you're replacing the speaker and rewiring round there, there's nothing to stop you adding a mono or stereo 3.5mm jack socket, with in built switching, to disconnect the internal speaker if it bothers you :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I had my Oric with no sound (a burnt amplifier) for years, so in used a pair of PC speakers. But I ended up repairing my Oric (Silicebit did it, thanks so much).

I like to have it working as it should, and the sound is a bit different when it comes out the original speaker underneath the machine, in my opinion .
kaydav
Officer Cadet

Post by kaydav »

I ended up deciding to change as little about the insides of the Oric as possible. It'd still be nice to be able to hook it up to speakers at some point but I think I'd choose to make a modified cable for the DIN socket as Mike and Dbug have suggested. Will be an interesting project when I get time :)