Atmos and Cumana Reborn - No go...

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Atmos and Cumana Reborn - No go...

Post by HigashiJun »

Last month, I got another Atmos and this one was working fine from the beginning, so I had nothing to repair. :D

There is just an issue with the Cumana: when the Cumana is attached, everything starts to boot when powered-on but the Atmos just freezes, no matter how many times I try.

Even a reset of the Cumana does not help.

Could it be the same issue as with the Twilighte Board, as this Oric has 2 different brands CPU and VIA ?

Any clues are welcome.

Cheers.
HigashiJun
kenneth
Squad Leader

Re: Atmos and Cumana Reborn - No go...

Post by kenneth »

Maybe there is an Uvprom chip inside instead a genuine Rom memory.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

kenneth wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:28 am Maybe there is an Uvprom chip inside instead a genuine Rom memory.
No, there is a genuine ROM.

(But I will replace it later with a Basic 1.22 EPROM as on my other ATMOS, using the Cumana compatible Hitachi HN4827128G).
HigashiJun
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

HigashiJun wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:06 am Could it be the same issue as with the Twilighte Board, as this Oric has 2 different brands CPU and VIA ?
No clue on the Cumana.
But on the Twilighte board: latest insight is that 2 different brands of CPU and VIA does not explain issues with that board working on one Atmos and not on the other (confirmed by Jede, but he did not change his site yet, also partly to not encourage to many people to order it right now I understood from him).
Actually the Twilight board at my side works great on my latest Atmos with two different brands and does only work with many stability issues and extra daughter board on my original one having the same brand.
No clue though on what then is causing the differences.

My Cumana Reborn works great on both by the way (but assume you are talking about the original Cumana)
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Thank you for this interesting feedback.

Sorry, but I was no clear in my topic: it is the Cumana Reborn. :oops:

Mea Culpa.

So different brands of CPUs and VIAs are not the source of this problem...

I will have to investigate more when time permits.
HigashiJun
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Ok, you are referring to the Cumana Reborn.

Did you talk to Piotr already?
I see more people have issues with the Cumana Reborn lately while others like me have it working without any issue on different Atmosses. Might even think there is a difference between the Cumana Reborn batches somehow.
Your Cumana Reborn does work on your other Atmos?

It is frustrating though that almost all new hardware devices seem to work or work not seemingly randomly between devices without any common root cause discovered yet.
Iss in this topic hints that by accident he might have discovered a solution, so I guess we need to watch his progress.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

As you may know, Piotr is famous for not answering.

I had an issue with my Cumana Reborn before and with another stuff for my Amstrad CPC and I never had any answer from him.

He makes good stuff but he should improve his after-service...

In my case, I just have one Cumana Reborn working flawlessly with one of my Atmos but not with the other one, so it is not a batch related problem.

I was just wondering if the VIA is not the culprit: the ATMOS works but when something is connected to the printer port, then and only then an issue arises.

Let's wait for iss progress. :D
HigashiJun
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

HigashiJun wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:04 am As you may know, Piotr is famous for not answering.
I actually have different experience, but agree that differs from time to time.
But I can also imagine that if it is really the case that the CR works on one Atmos and not on the other, there is probably also not that much that Piotr can do about that..... maybe also the reason (just speculating) he does not answer any more because he does not have the answers.

Anyway: the only thing I can confirm is that my CR works both my Atmosses, also when I connect either the 8 bit hub or the IJK interface to the printer port. But I have also seen too many stories of very credible people on CRs not working to understand I might just have luck here.

Image (hope we get to stage 5 soon)
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

xahmol wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:49 pm
HigashiJun wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:04 am As you may know, Piotr is famous for not answering.
I actually have different experience, but agree that differs from time to time.

Yes, I heard that some persons manage somehow to get an answer from Piotr.
HigashiJun
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

HigashiJun wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:04 am I was just wondering if the VIA is not the culprit: the ATMOS works but when something is connected to the printer port, then and only then an issue arises.
That makes absolutely no sense to me, unless (as you say) you have a somewhat faulty VIA chip, but I suck at hardware, so...
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Chema wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:35 am
HigashiJun wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:04 am I was just wondering if the VIA is not the culprit: the ATMOS works but when something is connected to the printer port, then and only then an issue arises.
That makes absolutely no sense to me, unless (as you say) you have a somewhat faulty VIA chip, but I suck at hardware, so...
I will be sure when I find time to replace the VIA with another one... And sorry, I meant "Expansion port" and not "Printer port".
HigashiJun
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Ah, that makes more sense. It seems to be the usual signal issue almost always related to timing and the MAP signal.