BASIC 10 Liner Competition - Oric Entry

Everything related to BASIC version 1.x (Oric 1 and Atmos) or HYPERBASIC (Telestrat).
Don't hesitate to give your small program samples, technical insights, or questions...
6502Nerd
Pilot Officer

BASIC 10 Liner Competition - Oric Entry

Post by 6502Nerd »

Hello!

Maybe some of you have heard about the BASIC 10 Liner competition - write a game in 10 lines of BASIC. This is my submission for 2021. It is great fun trying to squeeze a game in to only about 1 screen of BASIC. I managed to have colour, sound and even custom graphics for this entry :-)

I hope you enjoy it - and maybe you are interested to create an entry for the competition too! The link to the details is here:
https://gkanold.wixsite.com/homeputerium

jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Re: BASIC 10 Liner Competition - Oric Entry

Post by jbperin »

Waou .. impressive !!

Only 10 lines of basic for a game like that !! I'm very surprised.

I have written tons or C and assembly and still have no game done .. so .. i am also admirative .

Congratulations .. hope you'll win the contest.
rax
Flying Officer

Post by rax »

Very nice 6502nerd,
The game looks very good :)

This competition is a very good opportunity to promote our modest computer Oric, but I'm not sure if Oric has a chance against Commodore and Spectrum.

Last week i tried to do a few games on 10 lines. I will make a video with my attempts to games :)

About the competition: I'm not sure if I can participate with more than one game and I'm not sure if I will participate at all.
6502Nerd
Pilot Officer

Post by 6502Nerd »

jbperin wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:06 am Waou .. impressive !!

Only 10 lines of basic for a game like that !! I'm very surprised.

I have written tons or C and assembly and still have no game done .. so .. i am also admirative .

Congratulations .. hope you'll win the contest.
Thank you jbperin for your kind words, I really appreciate it! :D
6502Nerd
Pilot Officer

Post by 6502Nerd »

xahmol wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:36 amNice!
Thank you! :)
6502Nerd
Pilot Officer

Post by 6502Nerd »

rax wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:36 am Very nice 6502nerd,
The game looks very good :)

This competition is a very good opportunity to promote our modest computer Oric, but I'm not sure if Oric has a chance against Commodore and Spectrum.

Last week i tried to do a few games on 10 lines. I will make a video with my attempts to games :)

About the competition: I'm not sure if I can participate with more than one game and I'm not sure if I will participate at all.
Thank you rax! :)

Yes since last year I decided to put in a show for the Oric in this competition. There are different categories because some BASICs allow longer lines than others. For the Oric, I will enter PUR-80 which means maximum 80 characters per BASIC line.

The C64 submissions often use PUR-120 category so do not compete with Oric (as for Spectrum, Oric BASIC is better!). Yes it is allowed to submit more than one program if you wish :)

But to be honest, I wanted to make something for the competition mainly because as you noted, it's good promotion for our humble and under-appreciated computer! :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

How does that work, the number of characters, if I use "?" it gets expanded to "PRINT", does that count as one or five characters?
rax
Flying Officer

Post by rax »

6502Nerd wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:27 am But to be honest, I wanted to make something for the competition mainly because as you noted, it's good promotion for our humble and under-appreciated computer! :)
True
Dbug wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:14 pm How does that work, the number of characters, if I use "?" it gets expanded to "PRINT", does that count as one or five characters?
I hope not. I used it :)
rax
Flying Officer

Post by rax »

These are my attempts:

6502Nerd
Pilot Officer

Post by 6502Nerd »

Dbug wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:14 pm How does that work, the number of characters, if I use "?" it gets expanded to "PRINT", does that count as one or five characters?
Good question - not sure because when the line is listed back then PRINT shows up in full. I think '?' will not be acceptable because of that (but just guessing).

Although, I have not used this command at all in any 10-line game!
6502Nerd
Pilot Officer

Post by 6502Nerd »

rax wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:34 pm These are my attempts:
My goodness rax - these are all brilliant! Wall looks familiar to the dflat game you made! :)

You have plenty of choices to make a submission or even more than one! :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Wow, this is the great Oric thread ever .. a sudden onslaught of excellent 10 liners .. wtf?

rax: easily one of the most fun Oric videos of late, and thanks very much for the bonus listing at the end, that was terrific .. when will you publish the rest?

I had the thought: where were you guys in the 80's?!?! These 10-liners would inevitably have evolved, hehe .. and to be honest, I almost feel like some of them (moon and wall) were better than some of the naff Oric 'commercial' releases we had to suffer ..

Anyway folks, awesome work: would love to see the code!
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

rax wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:34 pm These are my attempts:
Wow 😲 . So strong.

You should definitely compete.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Just a small test I'm doing, to see if speedwise my wide would work, now to get the entire game to fit in 10 lines, with player control, handling the longer strides when killing extremities, etc... that's going to be a challenge :D
altgr_invaders.gif
altgr_invaders.gif (104.37 KiB) Viewed 6800 times