SampleTweaker

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

SampleTweaker

Post by jbperin »

Hello

I can't find the documentation of the SampleTweaker program that comes with OSDK.

Is there any chance that this tool works with 8 bits samples dispatched on two channels?

Thanks

Dbug
Site Admin

Re: SampleTweaker

Post by Dbug »

It's mostly that it's a tool that's pretty much unusable by itself, each time I used it I modified it to test new stuff, it only load raw files (so can't load wav, etc...), I would not recommend using it as is.

jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Isn't this tool the only way to prepare samples to be used with the digiplayer.s ?

I think I can do something similar in Python .. and add a few options such as support of ogg, wav, mp3 ..

And as it is possible to make exe from Python script, perhaps I can prepare an alternative to SampleTweaker .

But it would add some dependencies in OSDK build process (Python plus some extra libs)

Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The digiplayer is not a part of the OSDK, thus the tools is not officially part of it either.
The easiest way to do the wav to raw is to use something like SoX (http://sox.sourceforge.net)

Digiplayer.s is pretty much different in all the versions of my demos, some replay in 8bit using conversion tables over the three channels (and for that you don't need SampleTweaker at all, you can just use the RAW 8bit unsigned sample), some replay are in 4bit using various types of encoding, with different linear adaptations to compensate for the log volume.

Just look at the code, it's shit:
https://osdn.net/projects/oricsdk/scm/s ... r/main.cpp

Half of it is commented out, there are some ifdef, some stuff is for Oric some is for Atari.

Feel free to take snippets of it and make your own tool, that one is not worth investing any time to make usable by most people.