OUM magazine scans...

Here is the place to discuss about the magazines (CEO Mag, OUM, Rhetoric, Theoric, Hebdogiciel, ... are all welcome here) and books.
omelette
Officer Cadet

OUM magazine scans...

Post by omelette »

Hello. Has anyone scanned & uploaded issues of OUM??? I checked on the 'Abandonware' site and it isn't there.

I was going through my (43) OUM mags yesterday, and noticed how most of the staples that hold each issue together have almost rusted away. I figured that if I'm going to re-staple them, I might as well scan them as upload them as pdf's somewhere, for posterity, if nothing else.

No point doing it if there already available online somewhere though. :)
iss
Wing Commander

Re: OUM magazine scans...

Post by iss »

Check here: oric.org.
21 PDF-files are available. It would be great if you can scan and add more...
omelette
Officer Cadet

Post by omelette »

Great, good to know someone else has scanned some of them! All of the ones you link to, I don't have, so it should be an interesting read. Someone seems to have thought about uploading issues for the year 1995, but only got around to creating the folder (it's empty). I've got 7 issues from that year in case nothing else shows up there.

Anyway, I will start uploading issues to this thread, as time permits, and whomever is responsible for updating that OUM archive on CEO, can get them from here.

Although they're pretty small files (having scanned a handful of them this evening!), I'm wondering if there's a limit on file attachments here, based on files or total size? I'll try attachments first, and if I run into difficulties, I'll provide Google-drive links.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Edit:
Ok, attachments just don't work. I keep seeing that the attachments that I upload are "no longer available" whenever I Preview the post. If someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

That is strange... did you try to upload them as zip files? What is the size?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Maybe related to the issue which was signaled earlier with people not able to connect.
That being said, yes there's a limitation to the attachement size, and I'd rather host the files properly and not on the forum.

If you put the files somewhere I can download them and put them in the Oric Library:
http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... /index.htm
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I reported this problem a while ago: if you have more than one file attached to the message, previewing it or editing it deletes them all but one file, with the "no longer available" message.
omelette
Officer Cadet

Post by omelette »

Ok guys, I appreciate the info. The files 'were' all pdf files, between 1 - 3 megs mostly, though that creeps up to about 6 - 7 megs if there are photos and I scan the page as gray-scale. I quote 'were' cos uploading Google-drive links to pdf' files proved a bit of a disaster. All Google-drive links here are automatically shown as readable pdf files, not links to files, and given how slow the server that this forum is hosted on seems to be - often over 30secs between page-changes, or being told that the website itself was not found! - I'm instead uploading them as zip-file links.

Here's what I've done so far, starting with the first OUM's I received, the year, 1991.

OUM_June 1991 (Number 46)

OUM_July 1991 (Number 47)

OUM_August 1991 (Number 48)

OUM_September 1991 (Number 49)

OUM_October 1991 (Number 50)

OUM_November 1991 (Number 51)

OUM_December 1991 (Number 52)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I added the issues 46 to 52 to the file list:
http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... hly/files/
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Thanks for the post
With oric.org available, i've already scanned these (but i've to check quality of the scans) and i plan to upload them on oric.org one day ...
Attachments
oum_encours.jpg
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
omelette
Officer Cadet

Post by omelette »

Wow, that's a large number of issues that you've scanned - wish you had posted a little earlier! :)

You have most of the issues I have, already done, but I did a quick check and I have about 12 issues after Number 87, which seems to be as far as you got. Since they are not yet available (on oric.org) I may as well continue scanning & posting what I have. Better to have duplicated effort, than no effort at all! :)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Sorry, scanned them in 300dpi mostly in march (and started in 600dpi this summer to get a better pdf file). I didn't had time to check them as some pages are not complete (like your last page on oum52) as scanner is cutting some small margins at the borders.

and i didn't talked about some old scans done before (see pic), i believe they were available on oric.org (even if it was in a ceo dedicated part of the website as we're not able to distribute these)

So, priority should be to scan oum 11 to 18, holes i have in my last screenshot and 88 (i think 112 is last oum published)
Attachments
oum_encours2.jpg
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
omelette
Officer Cadet

Post by omelette »

Hi coco.oric. Yes, I noticed that my scanner was missing a few mm off the bottom of one page while scanning (at 300dpi), not the one you cite however. This seems to occur with pages where Dave Dick photocopied the original (very-full page) articles at a slight angle. The last OUM was actually Number 145, published September 1999. I bowed out of the Oric scene around 1996 due to a busy work schedule, but returned in 1999 - ironically, just as Dave was thinking of jumping ship! As a result, I only got the last 7 issues of 1999 (Jan -> Sept).

Anyway, here's a few more OUM issues, this time, the first half of 1992.

mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

coco.oric wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:54 am (i think 112 is last oum published)
145 is the last one I know of ...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I added the issues 53 to 58 to the file list:
http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... hly/files/
omelette
Officer Cadet

Post by omelette »

@Dbug, thanks for giving these a new home.

Here's half a dozen more, the second part of 1992.