ROM 1.22?

This is the best place to discuss about the various Oric operating systems like Sedoric, Randos, FT-Dos, and others, as well as serious software, utilities, word processors, disassemblers, etc... that runs on oric computers.
Dbug
Site Admin

ROM 1.22?

Post by Dbug »

Hi,
I know that some people have been playing with updating the Oric Atmos ROM, to do things like fix bugs, add the euro symbol, etc... but has anyone actually been trying to use one of these modified ROMs as their main Oric ROM, and if yes, have you noticed any significant difference (good or bad) when using them?

On this page (in French) http://pleclerc.free.fr/Oric/OricPage.html I see only the download links for the final binary, but there are no actual details about what was changed.

iss
Wing Commander

Re: ROM 1.22?

Post by iss »

Every zip file contains a nice document with all changes explained - very good!
With quick compare I counted dozens of JSR/RTS -> JMP - this will give some speed up.
Else what bothers me is the software compatibility but I think the changes are made very clever and the chance that something fails is minimal.
So, IMO it's definitely worth to try! :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Damn, I'm blind...
Guess the migration from Windows 7 to 10 kind of confused me about where the downloaded files were...
*sigh*

I'm wondering how many programs will break because if the IF/THEN/ELSE changes, or direct calls in the rom, but yeah, other than that, the changes make sense :)
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

I'd like to know what's the difference between BAS122.ROM and for example the french version (or other) like BAS122FR.ROM...

The document only states that the UK version has still the "£" symbol while other ones have the "€" symbol instead, but nothing about this "stateless" ROM file...

Would it be a 60Hz ROM ?

Any clues are welcome !
HigashiJun
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

@HigashiJun: if you download the ZIP files and decompress them then you'll find documents for each version which describe very detailed all changes. What I can make as conclusion is that all "localized" versions (i.e. uk,fr,de,se,es) are made to be used only with emulators, so your "localized" desktop keyboard layout is mapped to what Oric understands. Else, all ROM's are 50Hz. If you need 60Hz I can provide you one (or more) just specify which you like.
Last edited by iss on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DigitalDunc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by DigitalDunc »

Would there be many changes required to run these new ROM images on a real Oric? I’m aware the keyboard could be an issue.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

DigitalDunc wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:08 amWould there be many changes required to run these new ROM images on a real Oric? I’m aware the keyboard could be an issue.
What you mean with "changes"? You need to burn the ROM-file to а suitable EPROM (for instance 27128) with an programmer and use it.
DigitalDunc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by DigitalDunc »

I was under the impression that the ROM has been modified to operate with an emulators non standard keyboard and imagined there might therefore be incompatibilities with real hardware introduced.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

@iss: Yeah, I knew the enhancements these new ROMs contain, as the doc file inside the archive is really exhaustive. I just thought there were more differences between localized versions and standard one apart the "£" symbol.

Your conclusion concerning these localized versions makes sense. I didn't think about emulation at all...

I would be interested in 60Hz version. Do you have ROM v1.22 in 60Hz ?
HigashiJun
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Just remember that the Oric with the EPROM won't work with a disk interface (I think also won't with Erebus) out of the box.

It needs some hardware patching.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Chema wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:41 am Just remember that the Oric with the EPROM won't work with a disk interface (I think also won't with Erebus) out of the box.

It needs some hardware patching.
You're right... That's the drawback...
HigashiJun
DigitalDunc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by DigitalDunc »

I already modified my Orics to take two ROMs in such a way as to retain drive compatibility, so that’s not an issue. I ought to improve the power on reset too but that’s no big deal and can wait. I have other irons in the fire right now.

I’m just going to give it a go this weekend and see what happens. :)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Chema wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:41 amJust remember that the Oric with the EPROM won't work with a disk interface (I think also won't with Erebus) out of the box. It needs some hardware patching.
+1 Good advice! And the common sense is to follow it ... but don't forget this is Oric!
Here is at-least one proof that there are exceptions - UV EPROM working with Jasmin.

It uses fresh burnt EPROM with BASIC 1.22 @ 60Hz re-branded and dedicated to the gamemaster "Chema@DF" :!:
basic122-60Hz-Chema.png
basic122-60Hz-Chema.png (68.94 KiB) Viewed 8653 times

In the attached ZIP file are all BASIC 1.2x patched for 60Hz and the 1.22-60Hz-Chema ROM. Cheers!
Attachments
roms-12x+12x@60Hz.zip
(89.2 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Great and good news !

And many thanks for your ROM archive iss :D
HigashiJun
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

iss wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:24 pm It uses fresh burnt EPROM with BASIC 1.22 @ 60Hz re-branded and dedicated to the gamemaster "Chema@DF" :!:
:lol: Thanks so much! Yeah, I remembered that you were testing EPROMs which seemed to work, but I was not sure it was a definite "YES".

I am curious, however, about why you want to put a new ROM in an Oric. I understand putting an Atmos rom, moreover a 1.1a, which has error detection, even with some bugs, instead of 1.1b which disabled it completely. But unless you are programming in BASIC, why a more modern rom? And even if you are, most people won't be able to run it and you risk not being compatible with some games...

Well, of course it might be just for fun reasons or just to give your oric a personal touch :wink:

Another thing... there is a sedoric utility which puts an Atmos rom in overlay ram... I suppose it could be also adapted to put in a custom ROM.