New source code repository on OSDN.net

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

New source code repository on OSDN.net

Post by Dbug »

Let's start by mentioning the elefant in the room: Regarding GIT, that may happen at some point, but not in 2020, and if/when that happens, the repository should probably be broken in multiple parts, one for the OSDK, and various other repositories for the demos, games, etc...

That having been said, we now have a Oric SDK project on OSDN.NET: https://osdn.net/projects/oricsdk/

I've updated http://svn.defence-force.org to point to the svn source repository, and edited the parameters on the site so it looks like a reasonably active project. (And normally all the SVN related links on osdk.org, defence-force.org, etc... should point to the right locations on the new depot, but please tell me if some are not working.)

I also decided that Jylam and mmu_man would be admins on the site (along myself), mostly based on their long history of commits and changes that I approved of, which should also make it easier for them to eventually have proper linux releases if they want.

If you have used the previous SVN repository in the past and made changes, feel free to ask to join the project (as developers), for that you will need to create accounts on OSDN.net.

If you have used the OSDK in the past, or part of it, and did like it, don't hesitate to create accounts on OSDN.net and put some honest reviews for it with some decent comments, we aim to improve, not just pretend :)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Re: New source code repository on OSDN.net

Post by coco.oric »

Thanks Dbug.
I've found all the software sources that you archived.

For all visitors, don't forget to select "Source Tree" on the website to see the directories like on Svn

Didier
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Dear DBug.
I understood that some accounts have been created related to our directories.
If yes, what are them, or do i need to create one by myself ?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

coco.oric wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:21 pm Dear DBug.
I understood that some accounts have been created related to our directories.
If yes, what are them, or do i need to create one by myself ?
As far as I can see, you create the users/coco directory yourself about 10 years ago:
https://osdn.net/projects/oricsdk/scm/s ... sers/coco/
Looks like you were working on an Oric version of "Tower of Druaga"
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

@dbug :
Yes it was !

But unfinished, like a lot of projects / ideas i had.
I've kept all the paper designs i worked on during some summer holidays. may be i'll restart it (but i've some others to finish before)

However, i didn't succeeded in signin on my coco (or coco.oric account), i've tried with "lost password" on all my computer mail adresses
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

You have to recreate new accounts on OSDN.net, it was not possible to import existing credentials, it's a totally new system, all I was able to do was to import the history of files, but not the actual user accounts, so you have to make a new one, and then tell me when it's done so I can add you.

(There's also a a possibility to request to join the project, but when I checked that I did not get a notification, so ultimately I have to press a button anyway)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Hello Mike, it's done.
I've created a dma-coco account (it's my demomaker name, linked to dma my group when i've discovered crack/demo world with my st :D ).
(i've renamed my github account too)

If it's possible may be can you modify my forum username from coco.oric to didier_v to get a similar signature (between oric.org and defence-force) on these two accounts.
(if i remember, it was not)

And does i need tortoise svn to manage my oricsdk account, or synchronization is done with another tool. In this case, i'll remove tortoise from my computer.
Didier
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Thanks, @Dbug! The new svn works fine for me. :)

Here is some info which probably may be useful for other users:
I was unable to relocate my local copy to the new URL using the standard command:

Code: Select all

svn relocate  http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn http://svn.osdn.net/svnroot/oricsdk/
so I've checked-out the new repo with:

Code: Select all

svn co http://svn.osdn.net/svnroot/oricsdk/ svn-defence-force
('svn-defence-force' is my local directory you can change it to what you like).

The reason for 'relocate' fail was 2 minor differences between the last update and the content in the new repo:
- in my last svn copy I have 'users/dbug/games/DungeonMaster/*' which is missing in the new repo (it's attached in ZIP in case you need it);
- in new repo is added new directory 'users/dbug/tests/LatencyTester/*' - which is OK.

The whole svn check-out needs about 1GB free space just FYI. ;)
Attachments
DungeonMaster.zip
(46.52 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Thanks dbug, i've oric sdk in my project list.
I've also rated the project on osdn. For the others options, i'll have to learn this platform as i'm not very experienced with svn/git solutions.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

@iss Indeed, 1 gigabyte, and half of it is the .svn management data, that being said, you don't have to checkout the entire repository, you can totally do that only on the folders you are interested in.

Regarding the LatencyTester, it's a commit I did of a test program I had not yet submitted, to make sure it was possible to commit after the repository was imported to OSDN.net.

For the DungeonMaster, I do have all that locally on my machine, but thanks :)

Feel free to create an account if you want :)

@coco Cool, thanks for the rating :)
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

HI DBug,

Funny that nobody asked the question, so here I am: why the choice of OSDN ??? To be honest, that's the first time I hear of it, I understand it was known as SourceForge.JP before (and indeed I stumbled on some Japanese text in some pages, and also when registering I think I read something about the newsletters being sent in Japanese, but I'm not sure about that, I cannot find the page where I read about this anymore).

Moreover, at first glance it doesn(t look that OSDN is a particularly popular or future-proof choice, there are very few projects on it (just about 5,000 apparently), very few users (66k), and again, I never heard of it before... Just to put things into perspective, SourceForge.net, the historical leader in open-source projects hosting still has over 500k projects and more than 2 million registered active users...

So, to get a better understanding to this choice: why didn't you just choose SourceForge.net, is there a particular concern, shortcoming or drawback to SourceForge (or maybe a worry about its future?), and any particular advantage to OSDN ?? I know there have been issues about malware and advertising on SourceForge in the past, even some security breaches, but I think these issues have long been resolved, or isn't it the case?

Hoping you can give us a little feedback about this choice,

Thanks !

PS - in any case, I registered on OSDN as "retroric" and will of course use it if it is to be the default repository for OSDK and other Defence Force repositories.
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Sourceforge.net is a constant source of spam, malware and virus alerts. Its best to stay off that platform ..
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Funny that nobody asked the question, so here I am: why the choice of OSDN ???
I'm glad you asked :)

Basically, since I did not feel like investigating the switch to git in 2020, the only sane choice was to stay with SVN, and there are not that many free SVN based systems around anymore, Source Force has always been a hassle to use, and OSDN is basically a Source Forge derivative that kept the good and left most of the bad.

Regarding the size, it may not be github, but it's still where TortoiseSVN and MinGW source code are hosted there.

Ultimately I had to pickup something, and for what I saw it worked well, and has real humans that can help when you make tickets and can talk with using email, which for me is a benefit, it has a ticket system and a wiki, updates are posted to Twitter, it has a release system I can understand (if somebody make binaries for other platforms they can be added in their own category directly downloadable).

So no really reasons for choosing it, it was more the result of an elimination of other candidates based on very scientific criterias such as "I don't like them" and "Nah".

Btw, I added you on the project :)
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

Thanks for your replies ibisum and DBug, and apologies for getting back to you so late, I was quite busy at the time returning to work after a long off-period and was quite busy and didn't visit the forum in a long time and just forgot about this thread !!

Anyway, many thanks for enlightening me about the usability issues and dangers plaguing SourceForge, I was unaware of it being targeted by spammers and hackers, and as I've only ever used it to download software I think, I was unaware of its usability issues as an SVN back-end.

Also I am quite conforted of course to learn that it is home to big and popular projects such as TortoiseSVN and MinGW !

From what you describe DBug, it also looks like it has great many features, I must have a more closer look at it when I get some time.

And anyway, I agree there isn't much actually nowadays in terms of choice for free SCM hosting especially in the SVN field, apart from SourceForge and OSDN then...

Lastly, I think you were right in keeping to SVN, it is far more suitable to serving big repositories with complex subtrees and many modules... It is a pain with Git servers (be it GitHub, Bitbucket or GitLab) to have all modules stand flat at the root of your home directory, SVN is much more flexible than Git in this respect as it allows you to define as many subtrees as you want in your repository hierarchy... Mind you, there are also proponentswith Git of the 'single repositor', where you kind of mimic SVN subtrees for modules, but I haven't yet quite made how it is supposed to work, and some Git concepts are quite obscre (never really understood the rationale behind, and use case for, Git modules).

Thank you for adding me to the project in any case, I really appreciate it :-)

Cheers

PS - it is quite annoying though that you purely took the old miniserve SVN server down, as this must cause many dead links here in the forum, or in your articles, or elsewhere... like here for instance where the link you added to your comment is dead (but no worries, I added a comment myself with the new correct link) : https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/144
It would have been nice if you could have just kept the old SVN server running in read-only mode, with some kind of warning on the homepage redirecting to the new OSDN home...
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

retroric wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:08 am PS - it is quite annoying though that you purely took the old miniserve SVN server down, as this must cause many dead links here in the forum, or in your articles, or elsewhere... like here for instance where the link you added to your comment is dead (but no worries, I added a comment myself with the new correct link) : https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/144
It would have been nice if you could have just kept the old SVN server running in read-only mode, with some kind of warning on the homepage redirecting to the new OSDN home...
It's not a choice I made, it was made for me: Miniserve was dead, like non working motherboard, keeping the old miniserve SVN server up basically meant rebuilding the entire thing.

Now, what I can do is to edit/fix the posts in the forum, I already did it for most of the blog articles, just a matter of finding the time to do it :)