Sell me a data recorder! Price no object!

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
robcook
Flying Officer

Re: Sell me a data recorder! Price no object!

Post by robcook »

Steve M wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:43 pm Are you still wanting a cassette player? I could get hold of one and post it.

(We're able to get couriers to come and collect stuff. )
I do. I've managed to get a lappy working as a replacement recorder but I'd still love to get a data recorder to add to the options. Andy/Baz is also on the hunt and might have one. The main problem at the moment is knowing if I could get it delivered (with our very strict lockdown) so yeah, a courier would be the best option. I'd appreciate it very much. Any ideas which make/model you could obtain?
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Well, we'll have to see what's available.
I don't want to be bidding against Baz for one.
Geoson
Private

Post by Geoson »

Don't know if you've solved either your TAP storage or monitor issue yet but I recently resurrected both an Oric-1 and an Atmos and encountered the same problems.

1. Because I got them in England but now live in the US, using a TV was not an option. I bought a GBS-8200 board on Amazon for $22 and can now feed the RGB output, through the GBS-8200 board to the VGA input of an HP monitor. The output has never looked better!

2. When I tried to use it, my 30 year old tape recorder decided it simply was not going to work any more, so I considered using a PC to feed files back into the Oric but felt that doubling the desk real estate usage for one function just didn't seem right!
A. For CLOAD"", I've used TapOric successfully with a Motorola G5 Plus smartphone. This automatically sets playback volumes so the Oric recognizes them. Unfortunately, TapOric doesn't currently support CSAVE, so...
...B. I use Quickrec and Voice Recorder (for Android), which both save files in WAV format. These, I then play back to the Oric using TapOric.
You'll have to modify a TRRS plug (I used one off an old microphone capable headset) and connect the leads to a DIN plug for the Oric end. If you can solder, it's quite straightforward to do. Now my desktop only has a 6" phone taking additional real estate on it and I didn't need to mess around with volume settings.

Of course, after all this, I managed to get my Microdisc working, so all that work was unnecessary, however I offer it as a possible solution and an addition to the knowledge base.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Dbug wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 pm - 34 euros - https://www.todocoleccion.net/radios-fo ... x183174693
Funny. I have literally the exact same unit as pictured in that link..... not sure though if that one is the one I originally used with the Oric (it was stored on my parents attic together with my ZX Spectrum) and actually did not try it on my present Oric yet as I use an Erebus and Cumana Reborn....
Also, could not find the required cable connecting it to the Oric, so need first to buy that to try.

(and no, not willing to sell, especially as I do not want to sell anything before I know it actually works, but also because I might want to use it myself in the future)

EDIT: See that the original post is quite old, Came up in my new posts due to the last answer.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Believe it or not, I'm still not set up. Didn't bother to chase getting a tape recorder through the post during the main Covid disruptions to post delivery over here, which I think is still a bit iffy.

I have made some progress though. I now have a monitor and a work desk for the Atmos. Until a tape recorder somehow magically appears in my lap, I'm going to have to use a spare laptop as my tape recorder. It's not ideal or what I want but it'll do and maybe I'll get used to it.

Will be testing things soon. And then the fun begins.