Oricutron on Ubuntu

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Oricutron on Ubuntu

Post by jbperin »

Hi all,

I've just installed a Linux Ubuntu on an old portable PC that I plan to use as development machine during vacations.

I downloaded and build Oricutron on it and I'm facing two problems :

There's no ROM in the roms directory.

Unlike Windows version that comes with many roms in the roms directory, the version I built from git repo comes with no roms. So it doesn't start at all.
Where can we find the roms that are delivered with windows version of Oricutron ?

The keyboard doesn't respond.

I downloaded the Orix roms and putted them in the roms directory. then I edited the oricutron.cfg file to have Orix working.
Next I was wanting to set up the keyboard mapping to match my azerty keyboard .. But I failed to get the embedded keyboard working.
You know when you want to tell Oricutron which key of you physical keyboard corresponds to which key of the Oric keyboard, you tell oricutron that you're going to create a key binding. And then you have to press the key on the virtual keyboard of Oricutron and then the corresponding key on your real keyboard.
But here the virtual keyboard doesn't detect any click. Am I missing something ?

Can anyone help please ?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Oricutron on Ubuntu

Post by ibisum »

You can find those ROM's either on a warez site, or in the existing Windows installation of Oricutron. I think Oricutron doesn't include them in the repo to avoid any potential copyright hoopla.

As for the keyboard: does your new system have its LC_ALL and other vars related to Locale set properly? I seem to remember that Oricutron gets a bit tripped up on a new Ubuntu install, because new Ubuntu installs typically don't get the locale database set up properly - and this is okay for us English keyboard users, since defaults work, but if you don't have locale, but do have a weird keyboard, things might not be so functional ..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Locale
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Thank you ibisum

I copied the roms from my windows version into the linux version and it's ok. except for the bd500.rom that I don't have.

As for the keyboard issue .. I'm still blocked.

I checked the LC_ stuff . and it looks OK .. the LC_ALL is not set but all others are set ..
And in fact, I realize that the azerty keyboard is well handled for letters.
The point is for numbers and symbols that I can't get working.

I don't manage to type numbers or symbols but I can paste them with F12 if I copied them from a text editor.

Moreover .. numbers and symbols work fine in the debugger .. it is just in the interface that they refuse to be typed in.

I'm going to try to write a keymap file to check if I manage to have numbers and symbols working that way.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

@jbperin: You can find all roms in my development builds here (as usual).
Download any ZIP, unpack it and copy everything from roms/ to your directory.
About not working keyboard - it's already reported and I'm searching for universal solution. Meanwhile, please try this in the console:
Change to the directory where you build Oricutron and type:

Code: Select all

$ export LANG=en_US.utf8
$ ./oricutron
Please, do this on "vanilla" build and with no changes in the default 'oricutron.cfg' file related to keyboard hacking, give feedback ;).
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Hi Iss,

I downloaded the archive : https://iss.sandacite.com/oricutron/Ori ... 200515.zip
unzipped the content in a temporary directory
remove all files from the roms directory where I had build oricutron
copied all files in roms directory from your archive into the roms directory where I had build oricutron.

I git checked out the oricutron.cfg file to make sure to start from intitial state
Then I issued the commands:

export LANG=en_US.utf8
./oricutron
Oricutron started with no warning about Roms ..
But the numbers and symbols do not work in common interface but they work in debugger (F2)
The virtual keyboard doesn't catch any click

The command exporting LANG seems to work because I have all the LC_XXX vars set to en_US.utf8 although they are set at fr_FR.UTF-8 in other terminal windws.
However, the keyboard mapping is not changed by this command because I still haveg the proper azerty keyboard mapping.

I tried the oricutron from the archive I have downloaded from your site. I double clicked on it .. and I have the same problem with numbers and symbols.
However .. when I tried the SDL2 version of the oricutron in your archive, It works far better. I can type all numbers and some symbols.
I don't manage to type the " symbol .. and when I try to open the virtual keyboard from the menu, It crashes Oricutron-SDL2.

When I tried to build Oricutron with SDL2, I failed .. what should I do to use SDL to build Oricutron ?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Well, @rax reported the same behavior as by you in Ubuntu, so we have "stable" starting point to debug the issue. I hope we can fix it soon! Obviously there should be kind of internal translation inside the SDL library, but this is just pure guest by now, will see...

To build Oricutron with SDL v.1.x.x (I'm using SDL-1.2.15.tar.gz):

$ make SDL_LIB=sdl PLATFORM=linux
for Oricutron with SDL2 v.2.x.x (I'm using SDL2-2.0.8.tar.gz):

$ make SDL_LIB=sdl2 PLATFORM=linux
Additionally you can try in above build commands to set PLATFORM=lin-64 (or PLATFORM=lin-32) to see if there are differences.
Now I see that there is newer SDL2 version - 2.0.12 - I'll have to try it ;).
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Thank you Iss .. I manage to compile a SDL2 version of oricutron.

And I encounter the same crash as with your version.

I didn't manage to get the core file dumped somewhere .. but I could use gdb to find out more.

Here's what I got:

Thread 1 "oricutron" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff6cc6889 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff6cc6889 in  () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#1  0x00007ffff6cc8ec2 in  () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#2  0x00007ffff6cca0b4 in  () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#3  0x00007ffff6cc6ddd in  () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#4  0x00007ffff6cca552 in  () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#5  0x00007ffff6cca987 in  () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#6  0x00007ffff6ccc049 in  () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#7  0x000055555555d149 in SDL_COMPAT_SetVideoMode (width=width@entry=640, height=height@entry=720, bitsperpixel=<optimized out>, flags=0) at system_sdl.c:390
#8  0x000055555559495a in init_render_sw (oric=0x5555557b5e20 <ctx>)
    at render_sw.c:553
#9  0x000055555556dfb4 in togglekeyboard (oric=0x5555557b5e20 <ctx>, mitem=<optimized out>, dummy=<optimized out>) at gui.c:1761
#10 0x0000555555571cb5 in menu_event (ev=<optimized out>, oric=0x5555557b5e20 <ctx>, needrender=0x5555558a4dfc <ctx+978908>) at gui.c:1901
#11 0x000055555555c952 in loop_handler (arg=<optimized out>) at main.c:1574
#12 0x000055555555c952 in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=<optimized out>)
    at main.c:1648
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Yep, this is another known issue with the visual keyboard, but because it's not my contribution I'll need much more time to fix it.
IMHO, the root of the problem is somewhere in the code for new allocation (or reallocation) of the main SDL surface when switching on/off the visual keyboard.

EDIT: The issue is fixed now. Pull the changes and keep going ;) Cheers!
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Hey .. you're might be right .. it might just be a matter of memory allocation. Because if I configure oricutron to start with the keyboard visible at start up, It works !!

That's cool because now i can type any character i want !! And I can even do a key mapping if i want .. So that's great.

It is not a solution because it is just bypassing the issue .. but at least I can use oricutron on my Ubuntu.

Thank you very much Iss .. If you want me to make any other test for you .. let me know.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Has this keyboard issue been solved? There is a user in Facebook which seems to be unable to use oricutron because many keys (including numbers) do not work!

I am not sure where to point him to.
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

I managed to have the virtual keyboard working by displaying it right at Oricutron startup (with option on command line). And then I could redo the keyboard mapping. It's a hack to bypass a known issue
Dunno if it can help
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

The guy just told me that the latest build using sdl2 is working for him. Thanks for the tip, though.

I remember having issues with the localisation with these latest versions in windows, but number keys not working was something I never experienced.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Since we are mentioning the SDL2 version, the reason why it does not work on my machine is because of an issue with the audio, when connected to my 5.1 sound card (Asus Xonar) it crashes when trying to do some sound conversion.

And that's basically the main reason why I've not updated Oricutron in the OSDK: I can't use it (well I can, if I go back to my motherboard audio...)