John Gage reviews Damsel In Distress!

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
robcook
Flying Officer

Re: John Gage reviews Damsel In Distress!

Post by robcook »

The Oric coverage is coming thick and fast. Not down to me this time but we have a 20+ minute review of Blake's 7.

ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Screams "Open the locker!" at the video. ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

It's kind of frustrating to see him keep going to the menu at the bottom instead of using 0-9 for the quick actions :-/

6 out of 10 without even testing a single puzzle, really people should not grade games they don't even play.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Yeah, it does come across as a bit insincere, but hey - this is more Oric game reviews in a month than I can remember, and he is bringing a lot of peoples' eyeballs to our platform. I am left with a feeling that we maybe need to focus on coding up some more fresh titles, eh fella's... ;)

Chema - how do you feel about taking the Blakes7 engine and generalising it so that we could use its core features to do new titles?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

ibisum wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:31 pm Chema - how do you feel about taking the Blakes7 engine and generalising it so that we could use its core features to do new titles?
In fact it is general enough, though it has some quirks and glitches that makes it a bit tricky to use. The tools such as the script compiler and the room editor are personal tools which are not even near the needed polished status to be used comfortably by others.

Finally, I would probably make some changes if I intended to make another game... even if small tweaks only.

The main thing that prevents me for starting another game is the enormous amount of work... it is exhausting to design the story, the puzzles, the graphics, all the text and interactions, and all the testing... Blake's 7 could have been almost twice its size and still fit in one floppy. But I simply had to finish in a finite amount of time!
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

He was crap at the game but he must have enjoyed the music :)

Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Just stop encouraging him. He's way out his depth.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Dbug wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:11 pm It's kind of frustrating to see him keep going to the menu at the bottom instead of using 0-9 for the quick actions :-/

6 out of 10 without even testing a single puzzle, really people should not grade games they don't even play.
He can't play. He's utterly useless at playing games. It was painful watching he trying to understand how to play Blake's 7.
Pulsoids was the only game I've seen him manage to play without making a complete hash of it.

He's a Steve Benway wannabe.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Steve, I don't think you should watch any more of his videos if they wind you up so much. He never claims to be a great player - quite the opposite, in fact. I'll decide for myself whether to 'encourage' him to review more Oric stuff. Seriously, life is too short to get wound up over someone's reviews.

Take a chill pill.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Maybe he should just rename his channel "John Gage demo's <game>", its maybe just a terminology issue.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:34 pm Maybe he should just rename his channel "John Gage demo's <game>", its maybe just a terminology issue.
Sure, but then he should refrain to give a note at the end as well :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

hehe well, his channel, his rules. I don't care if he gives a good or bad rate to the game in the end. If there were dozens of videos reviewing Oric games, I would probably ignore him (he sucks at playing, his reviews are useless, he only swears and struggles when playing - which may be funny for some), but as there are virtually none, I watch everything Oric-related.

BTW, he is talking and talking and suddenly realises and says "The game seems to be giving playing instructions. I should have payed some attention", then is unable to even use the interface... :lol: Has he ever played Monkey Island or Indiana Jones?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

robcook wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:44 am Steve, I don't think you should watch any more of his videos if they wind you up so much. He never claims to be a great player - quite the opposite, in fact.
Well, to be fair, if he's rating games, he should accept being juged in return ;)
Found his Damsel In Distress video funny, but gave up watching when he didn't even bother reading the 2 sentences saying what to do in Oricium :?
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

Chema wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:56 pm I don't care if he gives a good or bad rate to the game in the end.
Broadly agree, as the reviews are somewhat shallow (I think you need to spend longer playing it to see if it's a worthy game, THEN record a review).

But, multiple-reviewing of Oric games that are "too confusing" or "too hard" or "use wrong keys" etc. doesn't do any good to Oric's reputation when people watch those reviews.

On Insect Insanity, he seemed confused by the idea of the same key for "UP" and "LEFT", now another key for "DOWN and LEFT" (what?), as if the idea of diagonal movement was a new thing.

We know he hasn't read the instructions, because some of us have played the games he's "reviewing" and can see what he's doing wrong. All we can do is shout at the screen (and maybe leave comments on the video to explain the game is superior to the reviewer ... ;)

There's another channel I watch where they have multiple "Shame On You! <Manufacturer>" clickbait titles as they "review" their "experience" with some piece of equipment. Having not read the manual, having not set the item up correctly, using it like a clueless newbie would, and then ranting about how the product is misleading and junk. Sadly, anyone commenting that "you are using it wrong" gets banned, comment deleted, and ghosted.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

robcook wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:44 am Seriously, life is too short to get wound up over someone's reviews.
They aren't reviews.
They demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge of what he's looking at. He can't be bothered to do any research.
He doesn't know what an Oric is.

He just fumbles around and let's you know whether he likes the experience or not.

That's not a review.