Adventure Games and Solutions, Help needed !

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Re: Adventure Games and Solutions, Help needed !

Post by coco.oric »

I've just checked and sadly I don't have Forest of Doom
Same for me, no forest of doom software in my library
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

dave3622 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:22 pm I'll type it in if you like, or would you prefer to? :lol:
Hi Dave, yes, If you could type it in, it would be great... I will not have to do it myself :)
Thanks!
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Hi, i've tried to recognize the text with adobe tools .... it's not possible to use the txt processed. It needs an 80's language expert :P
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Dom wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:12 am
dave3622 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:22 pm I'll type it in if you like, or would you prefer to? :lol:
Hi Dave, yes, If you could type it in, it would be great... I will not have to do it myself :)
Thanks!
OK, I'll give it a go! Some of the text is blurred so It may need a little de-bugging. I'll do the best I can and then leave the rest to you :D

Typing in games is so much easier when you have an emulator and scans on the same screen. Back in the day it would have taken forever, constantly looking down at the magazine and the time taken to save.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

All done! I've double-checked the listing and think it is bug-free but I didn't enable auto-run just in case. I also corrected a few minor spelling mistakes in the text.
Attachments
FOREST.tap
(13.06 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

dave3622 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:35 am All done! I've double-checked
Well done Dave! And so quick !
Thanks a lot for all that you do for Oric's games conservation :)

Dom
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

Astragorth is a Remy Gosselin's 1983 game, edited by NORSOFT.
It has no entry in the oric.org games database .
It seems to be a prequel to Tyrann as the action is situated in the village of GOLANUR...
Much simpler than 'Tyrann' or 'Le Fer d'Amnukor' this RPG should be Ok for beginners adventurers :-).
The more experienced might find this game too simple.

I found this game in the Musepat's archive. I found two .tap files
- ASTRAGORTH.tap, the HIRES screen intro with a 'nice' music
- ASTRA2.tap, the game itself
Hereunder, these two files are concatenated in a sole .tap as a multipart game

This game uses page four of the Oric so you must type QUIT before CLOADing the game because of the auto start. If you don't, the oric freezes...
If you wish to take a look at the Map and at the 'solution', just follow this link:
https://oric.forumactif.org/t874-astragorth
Last edited by Dom on Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Amazing! Rémy told about it in his interviews, but I never noticed Patrice had transfered it. Thanks for pointing this, Dom!
I hope Patrice has an original tape, and that he scans it some day ;)
Now I hope I can find some time to play some day ;)
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

Simon, detected a problem in the loading of the second part of the game.
The name of the second part in the concatened file was wrong. It was Ok on my computer because I had, in the Euphoric's tape folder, a file with the right name of this second part :-)
Simon fixed the CLOADing of the second part and now all is Ok.
My apologies for the 11 people who downloaded this wrong file :-)
Hereunder the Simon's good .tap
Astragor.tap
Astragorth, The fixed .tap
(49.4 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

STARSHIP TO HELL is available on Oric.org but is not operational

-The first part of the game (presentation) tries to load the second part with CLOAD"HELL2.TAP" while the name of the second part, is NONAME0
- we get a "SYNTAX ERROR IN 4453" because of the absence of a ":" between two BASIC instructions.
The file to download here is debugged.
--------------------------
SSH2HELL.TAP
(37.51 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
--------------------------
If you need help playing this game, following this link you will find: (to download)
- the map of the starship
- the solution of the game
- a disc version of the game, modified with the added SAVE and LOAD instructions
and the indication of your curent location number (to be read also on the map)
Jonh
Pilot Officer

Post by Jonh »

Debugged file is now on Oric.org :D
Adam
Officer Cadet

Post by Adam »

Some really exciting stuff in this thread, speaking as a text adventure enthusiast. It's pretty mind-blowing that there are still people typing in listings from ancient magazines to create runnable games for the Oric in the present day!

I was very excited to read of the Scott Adams adventures being available for the Oric, which I think is largely thanks to the interpreter written by the same person who wrote the Euphoric emulator? Sorry if I've got that wrong; I've been reading around a lot lately - the Oric was my first computer and I've just got it up and running again.

But regarding the Scott Adams games, as far as I can see on oric.org, they have been arranged as a collection in disc format.

Is there a way to convert the contents to individual .tap files?

It also begs the question: when should a game for the Oric be regarded as "saved" or "preserved"? I.e. what format should it be in? E.g. if it's been preserved in disk format, and it's not possible to convert from disc format to tape format, and the original has been lost, then that excludes it's use for people with real Orics and a tape drive. Likely most people can only play the game through emulation in that case.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Adam wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:40 pm But regarding the Scott Adams games, as far as I can see on oric.org, they have been arranged as a collection in disc format.
Is there a way to convert the contents to individual .tap files?

It also begs the question: when should a game for the Oric be regarded as "saved" or "preserved"? I.e. what format should it be in? E.g. if it's been preserved in disk format, and it's not possible to convert from disc format to tape format, and the original has been lost, then that excludes it's use for people with real Orics and a tape drive. Likely most people can only play the game through emulation in that case.
Most classic Oric games and tools were released on tape (and sometimes also had a disk version which basically was just the tape version but loaded faster or were able to save to disk as well).

Regarding converting disks to tape, it's basically only doable when the disk contains a bunch of files which are not relying on anything depending on the disk operating system.

In the case of the Adams game, I'm not sure which engine they use, but many of the recent games would not be possible on tape, because they use the additional 16KB of overlay memory and also keep loading data from the floppy. On Tape that would be a nightmare.

Recreating floppies from imaged DSK is not really difficult, and quite many people these days have hardware that allows loading floppies (real or virtual) such as real Microdisc units, Cumulus device or more recently Cumana Reborn (Piotr Bugaj was finishing a few of these a few weeks ago, so it may still be possible to get some, check the "Oric 1 & Atmos Owners/Users" on Facebook, or his Sell My Retro page.)
Adam
Officer Cadet

Post by Adam »

Dbug wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:13 am Recreating floppies from imaged DSK is not really difficult, and quite many people these days have hardware that allows loading floppies (real or virtual) such as real Microdisc units, Cumulus device or more recently Cumana Reborn (Piotr Bugaj was finishing a few of these a few weeks ago, so it may still be possible to get some, check the "Oric 1 & Atmos Owners/Users" on Facebook, or his Sell My Retro page.)
Thanks for the info.

I think the Scott Adams games in this collection are the really early ones like Adventureland etc. I was really hoping to get them in .tap form. The only modern Oric storage device I have is the Erebus. The other ones are a bit expensive for me at the moment!
Adam
Officer Cadet

Post by Adam »

I've just looked into pinforic and it seems that it's designed from the ground up to work on disc.

Oh, well. I had hoped that somehow there were original .tap files that had been later put into disc format, but is seems not.

I'll go back to playing them on the BBC. That's what I'd started to do, but after just getting my old Oric up and running recently, I was hoping to complete the rest on the Oric.

At least it looks like I'll finally be able to complete House of Death on the Oric, since somebody on this forum has posted a fixed version!