PC-style audio output socket

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
kaydav
2nd Star Corporal

PC-style audio output socket

Post by kaydav » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:50 pm

Since I have to replace the speaker of my Oric, it got me wondering if anyone has made any modifications to allow for the Oric to be connected up to a pair of speakers like for a PC. Maybe something like:
  1. DIN-to-3.5mm cable, plugged into external sound card + speakers.
  2. DIN-to-3.5mm adapter if there is such a thing.
  3. 3.5mm output socket added somewhere in the audio circuiting. Next to or instead of the speaker?
Is this kind of thing doable?

Dbug
Site Admin

Re: PC-style audio output socket

Post by Dbug » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:55 pm

Technically, the audio output is already available on some of the pints of the TAPE DIN connector on the back :)
The only missing thing is that this does not disconnect the internal speaker.

mikeb
Pilot Officer

Post by mikeb » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Yes, it's doable, you will miss some of the delights of the speaker being overloaded and driven to distortion though :)

As you look into the tape connector (5 pin), the extreme left and right pins are cassette in/out. The centre (top) pin is ground.

The two remaining pins directly next to ground are tied together, and are an audio in-out.

You could feed audio in here, with caution, it would get amplified and come out of the speaker in Oric. It's intended as an output though, and it provides a mono signal which will need amplifying (so treat it as line level, into powered speakers or a Hi-Fi amp etc.)

If you're replacing the speaker and rewiring round there, there's nothing to stop you adding a mono or stereo 3.5mm jack socket, with in built switching, to disconnect the internal speaker if it bothers you :)

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:39 am

I had my Oric with no sound (a burnt amplifier) for years, so in used a pair of PC speakers. But I ended up repairing my Oric (Silicebit did it, thanks so much).

I like to have it working as it should, and the sound is a bit different when it comes out the original speaker underneath the machine, in my opinion .