Defence Force

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
jdanddiet
Private

Defence Force

Post by jdanddiet »

Hi Oric-dudes!

I'm a freelancer for Retro Gamer Magazine and would like to pitch a making-of the fantabulous Defence Force. However, I need developer input, so am asking if anyone knows the games author, Andrew Moore, or can offer any assistance in trying to track him down?

Cheers
JD
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Re: Defence Force

Post by coco.oric »

Simply look at the net :
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awm/

Retro Gamer is a nice mag. Good luck in your track. I'll be happy to read an article about Defence Force
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I can confirm that the link is valid.
I had a mail exchange with mister Moore in 2006 and he pointed to this page as well.
I think Simon had some mail exchanged with him as well, so perhaps we can know more from him :)

But yeah, as you probably figured out I picked-up Defence Force as a domain name because I was a fan of the game :)
http://www.defence-force.org/infos/index.htm

Why did you choose Defence Force Org?

In fact, the choice is done relatively quickly. I did not want to take a name like "MickaelPointier.???" that would have been rather lame and pretentious. For the choice of ORG, it's easy. My site is not for profit, no question that I take a COM or NET. And for FR I would have had either a business or even an association, which is not the case! Hence the ORG.

You see the pretty picture at the right? This is a scan of the cover of a game made in 1983 by Andrew Moore Ltd Tansoft. Ca I say if there would be copyright issues. But hey, we are in 1998, and anyway I have not been able to contact him. There are a lot of moore and Tansoft on the web. Anyway, I found this awesome game is the first one I had on my first computer.

It is therefore a kind of homage. In addition, the name can be interpreted in many ways that correspond quite well to my lifestyle and thought.
Indeed, Defence-Force, literally means "force of protection". Protection from what? What is threatened, of course. And today, I think it is more than important to pay attention to what we do, and what we fail to do so.

This site contains information that may offend (or even traumatized) many people. It talks of things as the pleasure of using machines made more than 15 years ago (...)
jdanddiet
Private

Post by jdanddiet »

coco.oric wrote:Simply look at the net :
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awm/

Retro Gamer is a nice mag. Good luck in your track. I'll be happy to read an article about Defence Force
Thanks for that. I did see that site but wasn't sure if it was the same guy.

I've emailed Andrew, I'll keep you guys up to speed.

Cheers
JD
jdanddiet
Private

Post by jdanddiet »

Andrew has replied, we're go!
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Excellent news! Any chance of asking about "Don't Press the Letter Q" which is the other Oric game he programmed? It's an excellent game and has already been in Retro Gamers 'Minority Report' section but is deserving of more praise.
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

:D great idea, Mr Moore is a genious, he was 16 when he did this game !

Game tested here: http://www.oricgames.com/edito,en,112,81.html :wink:
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

maximus wrote::D great idea, Mr Moore is a genious, he was 16 when he did this game !

Game tested here: http://www.oricgames.com/edito,en,112,81.html :wink:
There's a mention here in that link:
A signaler une interview de l'auteur dans le CEOMAG 200 de decembre 2006
Is that text available online for info?
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Here's a link to the review published in 'Personal Computer News' back in April 1984. What I find interesting is the other Oric review on this page for the games 'Psycho II' and 'Psycho III', neither of which have ever heard of before. Does anybody know if these games were ever released?

ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sincl ... 600048.jpg

edit. just seen it says 'mail order' so suspect the games are rarer than hen's teeth.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

First time I hear of these Psycho games :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Sorry guys, quite busy these days.
I will post the interview from the CEO Mag. I have the same (and old) contact details than Dbug, I can try them again since I have a question to as to Mr Moore anyway.
jdanddiet
Private

Post by jdanddiet »

Unfortunately, despite several reminders, Andrew now seems reluctant to contribute. Big shame :(
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Did you manage to make contact with him at all?

Its a shame if you did and he's not interested. I was looking forward to some more in depth coverage of Oric in RG.

(speaking of which, I can access here but not the RG forum from where I am this month).