Problem with Bas2Tap

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Chris
2nd Star Corporal

Problem with Bas2Tap

Post by Chris »

The problem is I can't figure out how to use it. I can't seem to figure out what the heck to do. I open it, and as soon as I type something in it, it closes! For more information on my problem, visit my topic in the AtariAge forums:
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... pic=119130
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

Happy new year ! :P

Ba2Tap is dos command line utility, this means that if you just click on it's icon, the program will be launch, then a dos window will open showing a description text about how to use the program and then close immediately (you won't have the time to read anything).

Thus, if you want to use Bas2Tap, you have to :
A) Create a batch file in order to launch Bas2Tap
1) create a new text file in the same folder than bas2tap
2)In your text file (with notepad), write this :

Code: Select all

bas2tap
 pause

the pause instruction is a DOS instruction that asks the user to press a key before continuing the batch commands, it then prevents the dos window to be immediately closed. :wink:
3) change the extension of this text file (instead of "NameOfFile.txt", you should have "NameOfFile.bat"
B) double click on your bat file.

The dos window should npw stay opened so that you can read the instructions.

Then, you will have to modify your bat file according to those instructions (right click on it, and chose "modify", you should be able to modify it with notepad ):

bas2tap -b2t1 [C:\path to ypur source file\]program.bas program.tap
pause
save this, and then, double click on your bat file.
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

if you want more comfort in order to develop for Oric, I would suggest you to use the osdk (Oric SDK)
You can create C, Basic and ASM programs from your windows environment, and create a tap to load on Euphoric or once you converted it back to a wav file, you can even load it on a real Oric using your PC as a tape player. :wink:

Have a look at it in this site:
http://osdk.defence-force.org/

take the time to read the documentation, try to "compile" the samples provided, etc... you won't regret it :wink:
Chris
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Chris »

Thank you for the information. I already downloaded OSDK (that's where I got the Tap2Bas program.)
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

Chris wrote:Thank you for the information. I already downloaded OSDK (that's where I got the Tap2Bas program.)
Thus, did you manage to make the OSDK work as you wish ?

If you wrote a basic program (let say "game.bas" and put it in a folder, in this same folder you should create at least two batch files (those are simple text files with ".bat" extension instead of ".txt") :
- osdk_build.bat
- osdk_config.bat

in osdk_build.bat you should always have :

::@ECHO OFF

::
:: Initial check.
:: Verify if the SDK is correctly configurated
IF "%OSDK%"=="" GOTO ErCfg

:: Set the build paremeters
CALL osdk_config.bat

:: Launch the compilation of files
CALL %OSDK%\bin\make.bat %OSDKFILE%
GOTO End

:: Outputs an error message
:ErCfg
ECHO == ERROR ==
ECHO The Oric SDK was not configured properly
ECHO You should have a OSDK environment variable setted to the location of the SDK
IF "%OSDKBRIEF%"=="" PAUSE
GOTO End

:End
Pause
in osdk_config.bat, you shoul have a few lines to custom :

@ECHO OFF

:: Set the build paremeters
SET OSDKNAME=NAMEOFTHETAPFILE
SET OSDKFILE=GAME
Just right after "SET OSDKFILE=" you should put the name of the file that contains your BASIC program, without the extension. Thus, if your program is in a file named "game.bas", you should read "SET OSDKFILE=GAME".

Just right after "SET OSDKNAME=" put the name you wan't to give to your TAP file, without the extension, for instance, if you write "SET OSDKNAME=DEMO1", the generated tap file will be "demo1.tap".

In order to "compile" and create your tap file, just double click on "osdk_buil.bat". A sub-folder, named "BUILD" will be created in your project folder, this new folder contains your tape file :wink:
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

By the way, if you still have some difficulties, don't hesitate. :P

For instance may be that, when you click on osdk_build.bat you have some error messages, telling you that some "path is not found". That would mean tat when you installed the osdk, you did not set up the OSDK environment path. Read carefully the OSDK documentation for this, and tell us...

good dev :wink:
Chris
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Chris »

Well, the only thing I'm using OSDK for right now is the bas2tap program that came with it. I need to delve deeper into it to see what else it does. I downloaded it when I first got into Oric BASIC programming and forgot about the Oric when I was programming 2600 games using batari Basic. To get a .bas file to work with Oric, I use 2600IDE, which seems to work well.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

If you install the OSDK correctly (ie: setting the environment variable), you will be able to execute the sample programs in SAMPLES/BASIC.

If you only want Bas2Tap, you could simply have downloaded it from Fabrice's website :)