Erebus Batch November 2019

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Re: Erebus Batch November 2019

Post by coco.oric »

Coco: Did you get to tet the 1GB from Amazon?
Yes, i've got them
Formatted in fat16
Copied some sooft

But nothing happened when i taped CLOAD"
Only "Searching" a second is appearing and then at the 2nd lower part of the screen, READY

No box with choice of software.
I've to try the second box
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

that means Erebus reads successefully the sdcard but detects no files in the root folder with the TAP suffix.
Mustangus
Officer Cadet

Post by Mustangus »

If anyone is having issues. Please let me know. I can also send an sd card As Well if people need.
kaydav
Officer Cadet

Post by kaydav »

I just received my Erebus this morning - thank you so much Mustangus. It looks great!
Dbug wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:29 am - Kaydav: Did you have the opportunity to test the 2GB Transcend (or only the Sandisk)
I haven't had time to test it out yet because I'm heading away from home for a few days. But when I get back I'll let you know how it goes. I've prepped both cards with the same set of .TAP files, added one .DSK file just to see what happens, and one of the .TAPs has a long filename.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I got mine supplied with miniSD card which seems to work fine. I had to plug it in my laptop as my USB SD card reading thing didn't seem to work.
I had to rename a few files. (Make sure they arent' in a folder !!!)

I'll need to get some more cards to get all my files on there as it only seemed to allow a few over 250 files. My Tapes folder has only 11mb. If it's meant to accept 512 files then I should be getting more on the card?!?

I'll need to try again and see if I can get more on there.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

It accepts 512 files, I think, if you don't have long filenames (more than 8 characters plus extension). Else, each file needs extra space, reducing the grand total.

What I find surprising is that I am finding it hard to make a collection of 100 good games for the Oric, but I guess that depends on what you mean by "good" :lol:
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

My tapes folder is 12Mb. With some files that aren't .Tap files and some in folders that I didn't include.

I did go and reduce all the filenames down to 8 letters. So I think there should be sufficient room.
I'll need to go and have another look and see if I can get more on there.

There are a lot of simple programs that arent' great, but it'd be nice to squeeze it all on a couple of cards.
It's a shame the folders arent' allowed as I have all the Gamebase stuff nicely organised in folders. It isn't a simple task taking things out of the folders as a lot have the same title. It'd be nice if you could tell which Invaders it is, for example.

100 good titles - that's another topic. If you like games are you going to like Easytext, Sonix or BDDISK? I'm not sure the Welcome tape would be in my favourites, but I'd want to have access to it as it has some interesting features. So that's 101 - or is it 104? Now I just need to choose the other 100 ;o)
Last edited by Steve M on Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaydav
Officer Cadet

Post by kaydav »

I've had time to test out my Erebus now. Both the Sandisk and Transcend cards work, the only difference being that the Erebus listed files on the Transcend in a non-alphanumeric order. The long filename was shown truncated but still loaded fine. The .DSK file was ignored and not listed.

An odd thing was that the Erebus turns my Oric-1 effectively into an Atmos. This means that only the Atmos-compatible games from the card load/run successfully. I double-checked this correlation using Oricutron, and the way in which the games fail to run is identical to what happens when attempting to load them on an Atmos. Really interesting development! :D
Edit: There's a game at the top of the second page of the Erebus listing that doesn't show because the name was flashing when the photo was taken. It's Tansoft's Quest adventure and it loads/runs ok. And the Ultra should show a red X.
Attachments
erebus.jpg
erebus.jpg (24.16 KiB) Viewed 7433 times
IMG_20191217_103445.jpg
IMG_20191217_103445.jpg (372.92 KiB) Viewed 7433 times
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

My two Erebus boxes arrived today, will be spending a few hours soon wiring them up to a couple of Atmos', looking forward to it. Nice work guys, this is really an interesting time for us Oric fanboys to be keeping the machines alive ..
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Tested the 1Gb Transcend card I bought from Amazon, and it works nicely.
jdavis6809
Pilot Officer

Post by jdavis6809 »

hello,

I have this but cannot find project in svn ?

regards

john davis uk