My last pride :)

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
jorodr
Flying Officer

My last pride :)

Post by jorodr »

Chema
Game master

Re: My last pride :)

Post by Chema »

Hey! Can you explain what we can see in those videos? It seems like an atmos to me, not a Pravetz, though the way to boot dos is similar (or the same) as in the pravetz? Excuse my lack of knowledge about this...

And is it a home-made controller? Please give us details :)

Cheers
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

Sorrry Chema, here you are some more pictures.
These three controllers are made from me, so they could be called home made :)
First is not only storage devise, it's plate to expand the capabilities of the computer. I'm working on it's firmware for now. I have some ideas to create RS-232 interface and SRAM memory drive.
The second is just Disc ][ interface + IO port (8b in + 8b out). You need Disc ][ drive + Disc ][ controller to run it.

The thirth is Disc][ interface + Disc ][ controller onboard.

I have used Oric for the videos, because it's a bit smaller than Pravetz 8D. And I have too small space on my desk. The process of booting is the same on Oric and on Pravetz. Just call 800 after power-up. There's another version of Pravetz 8D rom that boot directly if there's controller on the expansion port, but I haven't use it since a long time. This evening I will upload videos with this controller + 3.5" drive.
Tell me if you are interested of something else. I'll be glad to answer :)
Attachments
Oric_Super_IO_Board.jpg
Oric_Super_IO_Board.jpg (132.08 KiB) Viewed 17721 times
Disc_II_IO_revizion.jpg
Disc_II_IO_revizion.jpg (178.57 KiB) Viewed 17721 times
Disc ][ controller
Disc ][ controller
CPLD_Integrated_controller.jpg (134.99 KiB) Viewed 17722 times
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Looks great! Thanks for the explanations.

Is it possible to attach a usual PC 3'5" disk drive? Is that design too far from Microdisc? :roll:

EDIT: I imagine the answer to the first is "no" and to the second is "yes"... just trying to express my own hope :)
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

The answer is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBdla9l_pNc
So the answers are "YES", "YES" :)
The difference between Disc ][ controller and Microdisc is like between moon and sun. But anyway, Disc ][ controllers use very good oparation system, not bad than Sedoric. Even more - you can see that my controller use modern DS/HD drive and floppies wothout need of place a sticker on the whole.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Beautiful. :shock:
I suppose that the little pcb is a bus amplifier...
A factory made it from your diagram or Tangerine reopened ? :D
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

What is the minimum required to plug in a 3.5" floppy disk to an Atmos? I haven't got an Apple ][ drive - are they required? I really like the 512K ram disk idea!

If you can make this work with an SD card you'll be onto a winner!...
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

Apple II drive is required only for beauty :) - http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=839
They are much easier to find than Oric drives and adds beauty to your desk. I prefer them because they keep the spirit of 8-byte technology too.
The needs for connecting 3.5" drive are Disc ][ interface + HDDD device - http://www.bootzero.com/
This was started as Pravetz 8D project exactly to replace Disk ][ drive, but moved to Apple ][ world after it's success. I'll attach more pictures when I have free time.
There's another interesting project - http://www.thesvd.com/svd/index.php
which is working with my Disc ][ interfaces too, but only for reading :( It replace the need of the floppies at all.
About the Memory Drive. The whole idea of creating the Super IO board is to give new capabilities to everyone who like to write software to our lovely computer. So the memory drive will be one of them, but maybe I'll start with RS-232. About the SD card I don't want to say anything, because I prefer soldering than talking :) If I have success you will know :)
Last edited by jorodr on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polluks
Pilot Officer

Post by polluks »

At least I have a Super Serial and a Disk II Interface Card :roll:
How do you want to support RS232?
cc65 development
Oric Atmos + Cumulus
Acorn Electron
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

The video for Oric using SVD is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmDahS-5g1Q
On the pictures attached you can see HDDD connected to 3.5" drive.
To question for RS-232:
I will not use SuperSerial card. I will make completely new card. With 3-slot Super IO Board I have created it's not difficult, because all the address decoding is on the board. But I don't thing to use Max-232, so the interface will be not for RS-232 connection. I will use USB connection instead of it. Wish me luck :)
Attachments
HDDD_1.jpg
HDDD_1.jpg (153.71 KiB) Viewed 17643 times
HDDD_2.jpg
HDDD_2.jpg (165.76 KiB) Viewed 17643 times