Microdisc replacement project

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Microdisc replacement project

Post by barnsey123 »

Hi Guys,

long time no speak. It's my understanding that there were some timing issues which were effecting SOME (but not all) Orics. I believe that one solution was to have been re-designing the Cumulus to give it it's own powersupply (as the power supplied by the oric was upsetting the connections to the disk?...something like that). The "two boards" solution was an attempt to prevent this problem but was not 100% successful. Including it's own power and merging onto one board was a bit of a job and maybe that's why RM hasn't looked at it in a while...

I sent the gerber/bom files to some manufacturers in UK but costs were considered prohibitive. Well, prohibitive in the sense that it was expensive for something not guaranteed to work...would be a gamble. The last I heard he was going to look at Chinese manufacturers but that was some time ago...

Regards
Barnsey
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

His last forum blog post was in November last year, but he's active on the comments, at least since April.

http://retromaster.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... -mf70-cnc/

Maybe he's not absent, just not attentive as usual.

Retromaster, if you're out there, we need you!

Symoon: I'm sure he'd be really happy to meet you in Istanbul! Well, I would, anyway! :) Chema: I've moved my whole workspace around since the last time I had the Oric hardware out, I'm going to try to set up an Oric hack station and get it wired up: when I do, I'll let you know and take pics.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote:Anyone was aware of this ? :shock:
http://www.boriskaminski.de/category/cumulus/
Holy crap...
No I did not! Good catch.

I want one :p
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Wow, could the dream be real? Anyone got any clues whats going on? Looks like preparations for mass production to me .. ;)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Great !
I'll be happy on trying this peripheral :P
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

He simply posted on comp.sys.oric (replying to Godzil):
"Hi,

i have build a few of these Cumulus-Boards and they are working very good with the Oric-1 and Oric Atmos.
I also have more than 40 PCB of the Cumulus here laying around and if someone is interested you can get them from me. So you don't have to produce the boards yourself for a lot of money.

Boris
- In my blog (only in german) you can find infos from building my Cumulus http://www.boriskaminski.de"

From what I read, I understand he only produced a few for himself, and that there are problems on some Orics he's investigating.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Great finding! It seems the author is experiencing some troubles with some Orics, it is only working in the Atmos machines. And he also states that it did not work correctly with the 1.22 rom, but it did one he placed the original. That is a bit weird...

That is what I understood from the google translator...

Will have to follow this closely :)

Edit: Symoon, we crossed postings :)
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

The cumulus project reborn.
With a nice box made with a 3D printer.
interesting. 8)
metadata
Pilot Officer

Post by metadata »

Hi everybody!

I'm Boris and i'm the owner of the Blog boriskaminski.de.
So... yes i have 3 working Cumulus-Boards and they are all working on my Oric-1 and Oric Atmos. In the past i've had a few problems with the roms but now it's seems to be fine. Maybe some expert in burning EEPROMS can help me to find out about this problem.

I have ordered round about 50 PCBs for the Cumulus and about 8 for the Cumulus-Bus but i can easy order more. And all the other parts like chips and the lcd for the Cumulus i had also a few laying around here. So i can build a few more board if someone want one. :)
The price for the parts of the Cumulus depends on the order value. So is is from about 80€ for 5 boards to 45€ for 100 boards (price per board).
The only problem is the time to solder this things. I think i need about 3-4 Hours for one.
Last edited by metadata on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Hi Boris, I've PM'd you...I want one :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

metadata wrote:Hi everybody!
I'm Boris and i'm the owner of the Blog boriskaminski.de.
Hi, and welcome :)
metadata wrote:So... yes i have 3 working Cumulus-Boards and they are all working on my Oric-1 and Oric Atmos. In the past i've had a few problems with the roms but now it's seems to be fine. Maybe some expert in burning EEPROMS can help me to find out about this problem.

I have ordered round about 50 PCBs for the Cumulus and about 8 for the Cumulus-Bus but i can easy order more. And all the other parts like chips and the lcd for the Cumulus i had also a few laying around here. So i can build a few more board if someone want one. :)
The price for the parts of the Cumulus depends on the order value. So is is from about 80€ for 5 boards to 45€ for 100 boards (price per board).
The only problem is the time to solder this things. I think i need about 3-4 Hours for one.
Ok, sounds good.

Now, what I suggest is that we try to be smart on the whole topic, and try to centralize somewhere the requests, and then advertise somewhat that a batch of cumulus is being built in order to produce as many as possible in one go to reduce the costs.

The central place can definitely be Boris, we just need to define how to do it nicely.

Perhaps we should have something like a three stage operation:
- A pre-order phase when everybody who is interested say how many cards they would buy, collect of emails/names/addresses, etc... just to make sure people are serious.
- Say one month after that (so we have time to advertise), we know the number of interested people so from that you can announce the actual cost, and provide something like a paypal address or equivalent.
- Then people pay, but they have to know that they are not built yet so it may take some time (as long as they know that they should be fine).

Depending of the final price I would definitely buy one, possibly two :)

Suggestions/remarks welcome.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Welcome Boris!

This is great news! Congrats on your splendid work!

I agree with Dbug's approach. Of course it depends on the final price, but I am interested in at least one!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Boris, you could make a dream come true for many of us ! :D
I'm afraid the demand might be rather high, if so I guess we should consider some help with someone else having soldering skills and spare time.

Anyway, I'd buy 2, maybe 3.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'll buy 3, no question about it! And I'll test it on my Oric-1, all of the (5x) Atmos' I have, as well as the Telestrat.

Just tell me when and where to send the cash, and I'm all in!