help! microdisc power supply connections

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

help! microdisc power supply connections

Post by nobbysnuts »

Help Ive just realised the guy who sold me the microdrive has given the power supply away with the atmos he sold.
can somone confirm the power conections on the back and the voltage and rating ,also I think I read a while back not to use original oric supply but its fed via new supply
any input welcome
ONLY DEAD FISH GO WITH THE FLOW
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

right think ive found the info on andrecs' site just didnt want to fry control board
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The power supply for an oric unit, and the power supply for a microdisc unit are two totaly different things.

In theory, a standard PSU like the ones used to power things in a PC (with the standard 4 pins connector inside with black, red and yellow cables) is good enough.

And normaly if the PSU work fine, and the Oric-Microdisc couple is compatible; you don't even have to power the Oric at all, it will get the power from the bus cable.

Now well experience shows that:
- Many PC PSU refuse to work (even by hot wiring the right wire to force it to deliver power)
- Some will work only when there is enough load on it (like more that one drive)
- Some oric/microdisc combinations require both machines to get their own PSU working at the same time.

Hope it helps
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

thanks
I was going to use a pc psu or was thinking of powering oric normally and use a seperate 12v supply but not sure about the negative votage reg on oric and the combined neutral, possably I could use an acorn psu unit out of an electron as I think they are 12/5 volt and I have a few in the attic ,somewhereI have found a few posts around on this subject but wasnt sure the best route