disc drives anywhere?

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

disc drives anywhere?

Post by nobbysnuts »

Hi where can I get my hands on a disc drive or controller for my orics or is there one I could mod (as much as I love the euphoric sometimes its nice to use the real thing , my wife thinks im sad)I have seen a few schematics on the net but I dont think id be able to build one from info given .can any one help cheers Ian
ONLY DEAD FISH GO WITH THE FLOW
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

Hi ive now managed to get an oric microdrive in working order can 3 inch discs be found anywhere or do I have to hack it to a 3.5(seems a pity to not use original
open to comments anyone?
simonj5
Private

Oric Disk Drives

Post by simonj5 »

Hello,

New to this forum and rediscovering my misspent youth playing with 6502 based systems. I have an Oric (and an Atmos) but no disk drive. Where did you get your disk from?

Thanks.
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

I got it on ebay there are a few on there from time to time if you use worldwide search I went a bit nuts and paid 110 euros for mine with system disc and manual witch is a bit expensive one went for 49 euros last night all it needed was the ribbon cable and a few screws to put together be patient they are about and somtimes go for a lot less
you could use a mp3 player that can play wav files or burn them on to cd then you can download from your pc .
I just seem to like the real thing(sad I know)
simonj5
Private

Post by simonj5 »

Thanks - I'll keep an eye open on eBay...
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Steve Marshall now has posession of about 200 unpopulated Microdisc boards which (last i heard) he was planning to populate and test.
However you ought to speak to him. whilst i cannot post here his email address, i have sent an email to him linking him to this forum thread.

As for drives - 3", 3.5" and 5.25" drives are all compatible with the Microdisc (the most popular interface).

As for 3" discs - you might try looking for Amstrad or Spectrum +3 disc software as invariably these were on 3". However unless you are a complete stallwart you would gain much better chance going for an old PC 3.5" drive. 3.5" Discs are much more reliable, and much bigger capacity. IIRC 3" held up to 170K and you had to flip the disc manually (Their were some rare dual side disc drives), whilst 3.25" can hold up to 720K and no flipping neccesary.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Interface building

Post by Steve M »

Well I'm a bit far from having any interfaces available. I need to source a few key parts and order numerous components as I have only about half of those needed.
The Cumana interface was alleged to be the most commonly used at one point but it is essentially the same as the Microdisc.
3" disks are getting quite rare these days. The 3.5" are about to disappear from the shops with PC World saying they wont' get any more in when they clear their current stock. Ideally an Oric user should have both drives so they can make use of the better storage capacity of the 3.5" and use the old 'original' 3" though I've not come across much commercial software on 3".