Dead Keyboard

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
AndyGarton
2nd Star Corporal

Dead Keyboard

Post by AndyGarton »

Hi all, I've just bought an Atmos ("sold as seen"!) and although it powers up and displays fine, the keyboard does nothing. I've opened the machine up and checked for poor connections and any other obvious problems, but no joy. Do the experts here have any idea how I could fix it please? Or is it likely a case of a dead irreparable board?

Thanks,
Andy
Godzil
Squad Leader

Re: Dead Keyboard

Post by Godzil »

First thing you can do is if you have a multimeter, check each wire of the keyboard cable.

If you have another Oric, (even a 1) just try to plug this keyboard on the other one.

A dead keyboard could have multiple reasons.

Faulty VIA, Faulty PSG, ...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Also check the connector is correctly plugged: I've seen some atmos that had one more pin hole in the keyboard connector, and when connecting it shifted by one pin it would look like ok but the keyboard would not work :)
AndyGarton
2nd Star Corporal

Post by AndyGarton »

Dbug wrote:Also check the connector is correctly plugged: I've seen some atmos that had one more pin hole in the keyboard connector, and when connecting it shifted by one pin it would look like ok but the keyboard would not work :)
I somehow missed this reply the first time sorry - this was exactly the problem, so a very belated thanks (although I actually figured it out for myself eventually)!