Oric Microdrive

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
Igotafro
Officer Cadet

Oric Microdrive

Post by Igotafro »

Hi, I just got my hands on a Oric Microdrive for my Atmos, but I have no PSU for it. Anyone know the pinout/voltage and such for it?
Godzil
Squad Leader

Re: Oric Microdrive

Post by Godzil »

Igotafro wrote:Hi, I just got my hands on a Oric Microdrive for my Atmos, but I have no PSU for it. Anyone know the pinout/voltage and such for it?
Which version of the Microdrive? because there are a few versin with differents PSU. Do you open it?
Igotafro
Officer Cadet

Post by Igotafro »

Yeah, I have opened it. One pin of the connector is connected to a 7812 and one to a LM323K and then one ground. So I guess it needs minimum 2 volts more, meaning 14V for the 7812 and 7V for the LM323K.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Igotafro wrote:Yeah, I have opened it. One pin of the connector is connected to a 7812 and one to a LM323K and then one ground. So I guess it needs minimum 2 volts more, meaning 14V for the 7812 and 7V for the LM323K.
So you don't have the same as mine, I can't help you :)

(mine do both 12 and 5v inside the PSU, not inside the microdisk)
Igotafro
Officer Cadet

Post by Igotafro »

Well, since it's probably impossible to find a connector that fits, I think I'll remove the plate in the back and just put in a new one with two connectors for 12 and 5 volts and just use external PSUs for both.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Igotafro wrote:Well, since it's probably impossible to find a connector that fits, I think I'll remove the plate in the back and just put in a new one with two connectors for 12 and 5 volts and just use external PSUs for both.
the DIN connector used is standard!
Igotafro
Officer Cadet

Post by Igotafro »

Ah, that's a DIN? Not used to 4-pole DINs and they're usually female connectors on the computers, this one is a male.
Igotafro
Officer Cadet

Post by Igotafro »

Hm, come to think of it, I've got a ATA/SATA to USB interface which comes with a nice PSU with 12V/5V molex connector, I think I'm going to use that one.
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

there will be one one ebay uk in the next few days :wink: as I know a few people have asked for one and it will give everyone a fair chance
ONLY DEAD FISH GO WITH THE FLOW
Igotafro
Officer Cadet

Re: Oric Microdrive

Post by Igotafro »

Since I got my Oric to work, I have now tried it with my Microdrive and it seems to work!
Happy, happy :)
I get a screen that says: insert system disc
How can I get hold of a system disc? I got some empty discs which I bought for my Amstrad PCW8256.