Jasmin drive

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Jasmin drive

Post by kenneth »

Hello

I have a problem with the Jasmin drive.
At startup the oric, the disk rotates
While Oric has no time to initialize.
Like if there was a parasitic hardware interruption.

Is it too small capacitor?
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

No Idea kenneth but thought i'd answer you just to let you know people are still here :p
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi Kenneth.

Not an hadrware expert myself, but I am not sure if I understood your question. Are you talking about a commercial drive or a home-made circuit? The latter may give a lot of trouble if you do not amplify and clean the bus signals (look for the ampli-bus add-on).

If you are talking about the former, then I don't understand the question about the capacitor, unless you have repaired it yourself.

In any case, it is difficult to tell with the only indication that the "oric freezes". The motor works (the disc rotates). Do you hear the head's moving? If so it could be (trying to) load data.

Does the oric freeze after this? No other signal (message, garbage...)? Does the motor stop? Is the hang inmediate or after a few seconds of drive working?

I guess a a bad disk, or trouble with the Oric bus signals, would corrupt data to the extent that it would crash the machine...

My 2 cents, and also, as Twi, just so you know some of us are still around even during these days :)
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

hello

The drive is a commercial one.
The problem happens like this:

1 The Atmos boots.
2 just before the ending Atmos boot, the drive is booting (noise of the head and disk) we can read "BOOTING TDOS"
3 Oric freezes with random error message.(sometimes with "unshaped" characters)
4 The drive stops
5 I push the drive reset button (total reset of Atmos)
goto 1
and so on...
After 5 or 10 times that works correctly and nothing bad happens after..
It's not a real problem, I can program and find my files....
I just wonder if the device was a bad serial (sorry a "just-before-perfect-serial") I bought the drive in 1991 and it did the bad booting already.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Ah I see now... Can't help :( I guess there are problems with the Oric bus interface (which are quite common).

Unless.... have you tried booting from a different disk? It seems the drive reads and code is executed to some extent...

Sorry for the dumb question (I never saw a Jasmin drive), is it using 3'' disks? Maybe the disk is damaged . If it uses 3.5'' you can try writedsk or something similar and boot from a freshly created disk and maybe Sedoric 3.0 (which does not ensure it will work, anyway).
romualdl
Officer Cadet

jasmin problem

Post by romualdl »

Hi there
Sorry for the dumb question (I never saw a Jasmin drive), is it using 3'' disks?
Yes.
Maybe the disk is damaged . If it uses 3.5'' you can try writedsk or something similar and boot from a freshly created disk and maybe Sedoric 3.0 (which does not ensure it will work, anyway).
Sedoric will not work on a Jasmin drive (TDOS instead).
After 5 or 10 times that works correctly and nothing bad happens after..
It's not a real problem, I can program and find my files....
Funny, it looks like one chip is having problem until it gets hot enough so that it runs ok (it's often the reverse, one chip is ok until it gets hot and then problems occur). But possible.
I just wonder if the device was a bad serial (sorry a "just-before-perfect-serial") I bought the drive in 1991 and it did the bad booting already.
When new the problem was already there? No waranty at that time? ;)
Ok have you tried with another oric to see if the problem is coming from your jasmin or your oric?

A+
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I thank you for your interest in my problem.
In fact, if I do another RESET the problem returns.
When I bought the drive, it was second-hand drive.
The power PCB was broken due to the big screw of the o-ring transformer.
I soldered the PCB but the problem is still there.
I think that the Atmos is one of the first in France and that the PCB was not upgraded but I have no other Atmos to try...

Drive carefully tonight :wink:
romualdl
Officer Cadet

jasmin the return

Post by romualdl »

ok, will you be at the oric visu?

A+
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I can not come.
I would have liked to see amazing things that we can do around a 6502A.
I hope there will be a lot of pictures about this meeting... :D