removing Oric keyboard

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
kaydav
Officer Cadet

removing Oric keyboard

Post by kaydav »

Hi all,
I'm at the stage in my Oric repair where I'm ready to take a look at the keyboard. I'm still a bit nervous about lifting the motherboard off from on top of it though. I can peer between the two boards and see that there's what looks like one connector between them. But I don't know if it just disconnects and is ok to just pull apart, or if it might be soldered.

Photo:
think this is it
think this is it
I think that's the connector, from the motherboard side. Is it ok just to gently part the two boards?
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Re: removing Oric keyboard

Post by mikeb »

Unless some contortionist/comedian *has* soldered the things together -- I'm not sure how you would manage it, yes that's the connector, and it really should just pull apart -- there's no catch or screws (other than the three along the top edge of the board).

It's just a 14-15 way 0.1" Molex style connector, they don't usually resist.
kaydav
Officer Cadet

Re: removing Oric keyboard

Post by kaydav »

Thank you Mike :) I got it apart. Thankfully no ninja solderers in my Oric.

The keys and membrane all looked good apart from the usual amount of dirt, so I cleaned it all and put it back together. I also did my speaker soldering job. Moment of truth.. except I forgot to bring the PSU home with me :oops: so I'll have to go get it tomorrow and fingers crossed I don't blow anything up :D