Capturing the SCANDISK activity by Euphoric

Everything related to BASIC version 1.x (Oric 1 and Atmos) or HYPERBASIC (Telestrat).
Don't hesitate to give your small program samples, technical insights, or questions...
Brana
Flying Officer

Capturing the SCANDISK activity by Euphoric

Post by Brana »

Could this be possible?

Example:

I power up my computer (Win98)

Then I turn the power off (not the "Shut down" icon, but "kill" the power).

After this, when I power back ON my computer, the Microsoft Scandisk will check the hard disk for errors.

Now, I wonder, could it be possible to "capture" the "pending" of the SCANDISK and to let EUPHORIC KNOW about it!

I am thinking of using some kind of BAT file example:

(BAT FILE for Windows)

IF EXIST (pending for ScanDisk after bat shut down) THEN EXECUTE FILE.TAP when Windows loads!

I do not need to have scandisk's RESULTS in EUPHORIC, JUST the fact that Scandisk was triggered due to improper shut down at (time and date).

Is this possible for Euphoric (via BAT file of some kind?)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Ok, let's assume that what you are asking make any sense in 2009, and being open minded here is a possibility.

1) You get hand of 'pslist' on the SysInternals website (you will be redirected on microsoft website somewhere)

2) When you run pslist, it shows a list of all processes, so what you do is that you run your scan disk, and you run pslist to find out what the name of the process is.

3) You check the content of the file to see if the name of the process is there.

4) You generate a BASIC program that will contain either

0 PRINT"SCANDISC IS NOT RUNNING"

or

0 PRINT"SCANDISC IS RUNNING"

5) You call Bas2Tap to convert the program to a tape file

6) You run it

Simple ;)
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Thanks! I will try to search for it :)

Now, please let me explain:

I have created a "Boot Logger" program, in Atmos-Basic, running in Euphoric!

The program is rather simple, it is executed by Windows AUTOEXEC.BAT at each boot of the Windows.

The purpose of the program is to track time and date of each power up (or the restart) of the computer (Windows), and, optionally - to enable the user to type in (in short) the purpose of why the computer is turned on / or restarted!

The "Boot Logger" has a built-in search and "analytic" option, so the purpose is to be able to "list out" all the times and the dates when You have powered on / or restarted your computer :)

Or (in short) let me put it this way:

If you have a computer (PC) for, example, longer than 3 years, then this program can give you a clue of how much useful stuff you have done on your machine in that time period...

... or, you can see how much time WASTED you have spent sitting in front of your computer!!! :)

Now, I know that there are possibly a lot of "Boot - Logger" - programs of similar fashion on the Internet, but I want to create my own! :)

In addition to this, I thought that it would be a good idea for this program to be able also to track "scan disk activity" as well...
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Brana wrote:... or, you can see how much time WASTED you have spent sitting in front of your computer!!!
I am a software developer.. would you like to rephrase that please? :?
Brana
Flying Officer

Re:

Post by Brana »

Or (in short) let me put it this way:

If you have a computer (PC) for, example, longer than 3 years, then this program can give you a clue of how much useful stuff you have done on your machine in that time period...

OK?

:)