OSDK 0.016

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Dbug
Site Admin

OSDK 0.016

Post by Dbug »

New version, with a LOT of modifications.

Version 0.016 - December the 13th 2006
- Replaced a part of the build process that was crashing Wine. It is now possible to compile an Oric program with the OSDK on a Linux machine.
- If you have DosBox installed, it is now possible to run Euphoric in a windowed mode.
- Updated the documentation with more interpage links.
- Upgraded Euphoric to the version 1007
- Added Bas2Tap as a native part of the OSDK. It is now possible to generate programs from a BASIC source code easily.
- Added a lot of options to fine tune the output of Bin2Txt, including the possibility to generate BASIC files.
- PictConv can now export pictures as BASIC DATA lines.
- PictConv can convert colored pictures that are not 240 pixels wide

You can get this version 0.016 here:
http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... _0_016.zip

(the page http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... /index.htm
still points on the version 0.015, because the new version needs to be tested before being considered as stable)

Give me feedback please, I need to know if I did not break anything.
Also it would be nice if BASIC programmers could give a try !
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Greetings,

I have been able to successfully compile and execute the current developement version of Space:1999 with the new OSDK. So it seems you did not break anything... :wink:

Well, remember I am not using the C library (nor source code) anymore.

However I had a couple of problems due to the specific nature of this program:

- Had to update the version of tap2dsk with the one Fabrice sent us.
- Could not test with DosBox and the new osdk_euphoric.bat, as it insists on copying the builded tap file into osdk.tap, which does not exist, as I have modified osdk_execute to generate the complete disk (sp99.dsk) file.

Something to automate this could be a good idea, at least that it notices if we want to build a dsk or tap file, but I understand it is not a priority.

Good work!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Yep, I agree, I can improve on the generation of the final executable in at least two ways:
- Define if a floppy has to be created, in which case we may want to specify a full list of additional files that we want to put together, and of course also the name of the DSK file... in which case OSDK execute needs to run Euphoric in microdisc mode booting on this DSK instead of the tape file.
- Define parameters for packing executables

For the question you asked about OSDK adding headers and stuff, it's possible to define an option in the configuration parameters to say that you want a minimalistic setup. (Check on the 'doc_linker' page):

Code: Select all

SET OSDKLINK=-B
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Chema wrote:Could not test with DosBox and the new osdk_euphoric.bat, as it insists on copying the builded tap file into osdk.tap, which does not exist, as I have modified osdk_execute to generate the complete disk (sp99.dsk) file.

Something to automate this could be a good idea, at least that it notices if we want to build a dsk or tap file, but I understand it is not a priority.
Could you send me the whole project, with your existing batch files, so I can try to see how to integrate your modifications and mine in an harmonious way ?
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

I am currently using the OSDK to develop an adventure game. (see on http://www.OricGames.com, in the OSDK thread)
It is very usefull. :P

But I must admit it could be very handy if in windows, all those little tools were Win applications with a GUI.

If you need help, I can do some interfaces or rewrite your code :
I am using Delphi in my developments :wink:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I replied on the oricgame forum about the game, looks good, want to see more !

About a GUI, well if you do external tools which call the command line, I will put them on osdk.defence-force.org as additional downloads.

I don't think adding GUI directly in the command line tools is a good idea, because it seriously reduce the possibilities in automating things, and makes it harder to port to linux or mac for example.

For what I think, the parameters are good enough to do tools, and for example using PictConv with a GUI is not complicated since it's possible to ask PictConv to export the result of the convertion as a PC picture.

Don't hesitate giving feedback about the OSDk on tese forums - even bad one :) -
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

OK, no prob :P