OSDK Linux/macOS recent version?

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

OSDK Linux/macOS recent version?

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Hello kittens!

I am starting to get warmed up to code a bit on the Oric using the OSDK but since I live in a macOS world I wanted to know if there was a Linux/macOS version available which contains the recent v1.1 OSDK changes?

Sir DBug pointed me to this old post http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopi ... =825#p9223 but the link it contains to the BitBucket OSDK Linux repository is now invalid unfortunately.
A search on Bitbucket public repositories about Oric does not seem to point to any version of the OSDK: https://bitbucket.org/repo/all?name=oric

Searching on Duck Duck Go for "+oric osdk linux" does not return much either.

Does anyone know if Iss's Linux version is still available somewhere?
If none exist anymore, I will create one from the recent OSDK version and make it available for test somewhere before bringing it back to DBug's SVN.

Thanks!
iss
Wing Commander

Re: OSDK Linux/macOS recent version?

Post by iss »

Because of lack of interest I removed it from the public repository else I'm using it every day :).
But there is no problem to compile and use OSDK from SVN under Linux.

What I've done is to create a makefile based solution which provides an easy way to deal with 'projects' (or kind of). Projects can contain many parts (programs build from C, assembler, basic sources, binary files, TAP's etc) and the result can be Sedoric or FloppyBuilder based image. The same makefiles can be used with OSDK and with CC65.
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Oh, nice, thank you for your answer!

I guess it should work fine under macOS then.
Are your changes already integrated in the defense-force SVN repository?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

No, they are not, and IMHO this is not good idea. Let's keep OSDK "as is".
As I said it's easy to build OSKD for Linux - there are already Makefiles.
Checkout http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/public/, go to pc/tools/osdk/main/ directory and try 'make'.
May be some tweaking and 3-rd party libraries (freeimage, nanosvg, etc.) are needed,but in common it should work.
Try it and post your result, I can help if you need. ;).
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

iss wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:14 pm No, they are not, and IMHO this is not good idea. Let's keep OSDK "as is".
As I said it's easy to build OSKD for Linux - there are already Makefiles.
Ok, thanks for clarifying!
I misunderstood that the Makefiles and project system were the same.

This said, this seems interesting as well, maybe you should make it public again, you never know who might end up being interested down the line.
At least this gives them a chance to find it. ;)
iss wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:14 pm As I said it's easy to build OSKD for Linux - there are already Makefiles.
Checkout http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/public/, go to pc/tools/osdk/main/ directory and try 'make'.
May be some tweaking and 3-rd party libraries (freeimage, nanosvg, etc.) are needed,but in common it should work.
Try it and post your result, I can help if you need. ;).
Ok, I will use that, thanks. Get ready for questions. :D

As discussed with DBug privately recently I will likely create a GitHub copy of the OSDK.
I have no intentions to fork it ever, this is just simpler for me to work with and it will mirror the SVN (manually first, automatically later).
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

Hi guys,

Just saw this discussion and it reminded me of an old project by Godzil I recently discovered on GitHub:
https://github.com/Godzil/osXdk

Essentially it is a fork of OSDK (from 2009-2010...) that was adapted for Mac OS X, but seems to have been abandoned.
However, there might be some stuff in there that can be reused?

Has anyone tried it?
@DBug: apparently, you were more or less involved as your name appears in the commits...
... or maybe it is just an effect of "git-svn" reflecting changes you made on the SVN ? :D

Laurent
Last edited by retroric on Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I've not done anything about the osxdk except giving my benediction for the fork :)

I refuse to huse github / bitbucket or any hosted repository for various reasons (religious, conceptual, pernnity, etc...) in general, and I dislike git as a source control system in particular (I see the point of how it's useful for a distributed work such as the Linux Kernel, but for a simple versionning without branches with just a moderate number of changes/files and non professional developers, it's just absolutely overkill for no obvious benefits compared to SVN or even CVS).

Basically, I've no problem with anyone forking anything, it's actually good for making sure we get distributed copies, the only thing is that I keep the SVN as my own master repository.

I'm fine with giving SVN write access to serious people doing sane changes, so they can propagate their changes if they want them in the next "official" osdk :)