Sedoric disc structure ???

This is the best place to discuss about the various Oric operating systems like Sedoric, Randos, FT-Dos, and others, as well as serious software, utilities, word processors, disassemblers, etc... that runs on oric computers.
Dbug
Site Admin

Sedoric disc structure ???

Post by Dbug »

Could somebody give me a description of how the Sedoric discs are organised, where is the directory, boot sector, system files, sector allocation tables, etc...

Or at least point me on some page with the informations :)

Thanks.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Ok from reading various documents, I figured out that Sedoric contains mostly two kind of data:

- Stuff to be recognised as an Oric Dos disc, and thus getting the microdisc eprom to boot the disc.

- Sedoric data itself.

It seems that for the Oric Dos compatibility sedoric uses the 3 first sectors of the disc, with the 3rd one beeing a fake directory entry contain a BOOTUP.COM entry redirecting on the 2nd sector that would actually be the boot sector itself ?

Does anyone know exactly what is required to get a disc to boot ? What does exactly the eprom check before deciding to boot or not the disc ?
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

If you are still interested... (2 years after...)
I think I saw a few thins about the structure of a Sedoric Disk in Theoric (I can't remember if it is the issue n°5 , 6, or 7), it is at the end of the mag.

Other else you have some details about the dsk file structure in the CEO Mag of January 2003 ("L'Oric à 20 ans !")
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Use the Source, Luke! ;)
I recall seeing some big pdfs about Sedoric internals... well there is "Sedoric A Nu", should be quite useful.
I started making a script to disassemble it with human readable labels to be able to modify it (I want to make a version that can use my Jasmin II drive).
cf. http://revolf.free.fr/oric/sedoric.zip
If I ever finish porting Lunix NG I'll need to write a floppy driver and dos fs handler for it as well...