Powered scart lead for Oric RGB to Scart TV required

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Twilighte
Game master

Powered scart lead for Oric RGB to Scart TV required

Post by Twilighte »

Last year i visited Fabrice Frances in Toulouse and he showed and recommended me a joytech monitor connected to the Oric.
I had been looking for a solution like this for a very long time.
So as soon as i got back to uk i purchased the same one (a Joytech Universal 7 inch TFT monitor (JS-952)). It came with a variety of leads including Scart. :)

I had intended to connect it to the Oric but many people have said this won't work as is. It requires a powered scart lead in order to raise the voltage levels of the Oric's RGB output so they trigger the input levels of the monitors scart inputs. :P
This all sounds way too complicated for me, especially since all i want is a little screen for my oric on my desk top. :S

Since then i have tried to contact Fabrice but he has been unreachable so far. :(

So if anyone has the solution, an available lead or some hints and tips, please reply.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Apparently, all that is needed is to have a value between 1 and 3 volts on the pin 16 of the SCART connector to force the device to accept a RGB signal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

After visiting Fabrice last week he was kind enough to give me his modified French Atmos whose RGB output can be directly connected to SCART. However i still need to know the pin connections on the scart connector i need to attach the R,G,B,S and Ground lines to.

Also do i need to link the Scart RGB and Blanking grounds in the scart connector?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Actually, after some discussions with various people, it appears that we probably need to enable two signals:
- The pin 16, with a value between 1 and 3 volts to enable the RGB signal detection (instead of composite)
- The pin 8, with a value between 9.5 and 12 volts to the 4/3 mode external AV mode (values between 5 and 9 volts apparently enable the 16/9 mode on more recent TVs)
baz67
2nd Star Corporal

ORIC SCART

Post by baz67 »

THIS CHAP (Retro Computer Shack) ON EBAY SELLS AN EXCELLENT SCART LEAD FOR THE ORIC WHICH DOES EVERYTHING IT SAYS ON THE CAN - ie. it works! (brilliantly):

Try it folks:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oric-Atmos-High-Q ... 159wt_1002

Definitely recommended.

New user, Baz67.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I have one of those cables, it works great. Really the best quality Oric screen I've ever seen.

Now if only I could work out how to get my Telestrat to function with an Austrian TV .. or find some way to get a French TV (LCD, probably) sent to me that will work ..
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Powered scart lead for Oric RGB to Scart TV required

Post by ibisum »

So .. I've inherited a couple great LCD TV's lately, namely a Samsung 711MP - which works great with everything I've thrown at it - VGA from rPi, etc. The only trouble is it doesn't seem to work with the Oric-1/Atmos RGB SCART cable from retrogamingcables: (http://www.retrogamingcables.com/oric.html) - on RGB input, it does get the picture from the Atmos, but the image just 'blinks' or 'scrolls fast' by, which to my ingenue eyes looks like 'a sync problem'. The same cable works very well with a Schneider LCD-TV, but as I'm trying to set up a few more Atmos' for work, it'd be great if I could figure out this problem with the 711MP.

Trouble is, I have a few 711MP's on offer to me, so if it turns out I can make it work, this'll be great - if not, I better turn the offer down - Does anyone have any clues/tips/tricks for how to manipulate the 711MP into sync'ing with this RGB/SCART adapter - I seem to recall there were some tricks, like shorting a pin or something, which might be something I'm willing to do ...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Could you try one thing: Enable the videotext mode. On my previous tv it would not sync either, but when enabling the videotext it would display the oric picture inside. Don't ask why, I don't know :)
Also test the power on the scart, some tvs want 12v, one want 9, some want less or more...
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Ah, good point - I suppose I should also check it without the Cumulus plugged in and see what happens .. d'oh! :) Should have thought to test that earlier ..
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I forgot to update this thread: I got it working by setting "OVR"-mode on the display first, turning on the Oric. Works great .. and I have to say, is a very crisp display for the humble machine.