List of Oric software

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Chris
2nd Star Corporal

List of Oric software

Post by Chris »

Is there a list of every commercially released tape and/or disk for the Oric, and if so, where can I find one? I think it'd be interesting to compile a list if there isn't one already.
TheSpider
Pilot Officer

Post by TheSpider »

Greetings Chris,
Unsure how complete, but a good start is to be found at:
http://www.oric.org/
Peter (TheSpider) Paterson
A Scotsman in Kentucky
http://thespider.oric.org
http://mintspider.blogspot.com
Steve M
Squad Leader

software list

Post by Steve M »

I think Oric.org has become difficult to view, the way it is laid out.

For the database on which oric.org was based look at the list(s) on my website. www.48katmos.freeuk.com

Muso
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Nice Avatar Steve, Jede sometimes appears (for no apparent reason) on irc #oric forum and next time i see him i'll point him in this direction.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Will you? You could point him towards a cake factory and see what happens.

Dontcha think Jede knows my site already?
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: software list

Post by Dbug »

Steve M wrote:I think Oric.org has become difficult to view, the way it is laid out.
Is there something in particular that causes problem ? My only real problem is that you have to be logged in to see the screenshots.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

The OP was wanting a list of all software titles. The way it is now with pictures etc it takes ages to work through everything, so if you just want a list of all titles it isn't very convenient. Also everything is mixed together so I'm not sure how the commercial titles could be separated(?)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

What "commercially released" means anyway?
Would OUM or CEO games be included in them?
Would magazines that sold on tape or disk the games they published as listings be included?
Would individuals that sold their programs at small scale be included?
Pretty complicated!

BTW Oric.org is not complete, but none of the guys (including myself) that used to update it seem to have enough spare time to carry on now.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Symoon wrote:What "commercially released" means anyway?
Would OUM or CEO games be included in them?
Would magazines that sold on tape or disk the games they published as listings be included?
Would individuals that sold their programs at small scale be included?
Pretty complicated!
Commercial releases are those software titles that were available as an item for sale - so not listings from mags.

OUM (Mirage)and CEO (CEOSoft) produced software could be considered because it was available for sale though they weren't professionally produced. Usually commercial releases would mean those professional produced packages, but home computers have a history of software produced at home by individuals, so the small industry items should be included.
Anything sold on tape (or disk). Listings weren't sold individually as items in their own right, but some were sold on tape and so those would count.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Steve M wrote:Listings weren't sold individually as items in their own right, but some were sold on tape and so those would count.
Well, the Oric had a lot of books like "50 games for your Oric", which contains nothing except listings, and you have to buy the book to get the games.

Commercial or not ?
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

It's not sold as a piece of software, it's sold as a book, so no, book listings don't count as commercial software releases.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Steve M wrote:
Symoon wrote: Would magazines that sold on tape or disk the games they published as listings be included?
Commercial releases are those software titles that were available as an item for sale - so not listings from mags.
What I meant here is, for instance, Theoric that sold disks holding the programs that were in the mag, to avoid having to type them.
I don't think they came with a special box or something, but they were actually sold.[/b]
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

They were disk compilations, weren't they?

If they were available for everyone to buy, i.e not just subscribers then I guess you could include them - it's about the same as the Oric Attributes from Oric Computing magazine, but really commercial titles tends to refer to anything you'd find sold in shops which could include all the stuff from software houses, be they one man operations or larger companies. The magazine listings tended not to be on general release and were only available via the magazine.
It's a grey area but I would expect a commercial list to include material from software houses so I wouldn't include listings that were made available on compilations. So OUM disks, CEO disks, Théoric disks, PD software library disks wouldn't count. (CEOsoft and Mirage etc would).

Just my view, of course!