Pravetz 8D info

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
jorodr
Flying Officer

Pravetz 8D info

Post by jorodr »

Hi guys :)

I have made a little page for Pravetz 8D - Oric Atmos clone.
The address is:
http://www.sofiaprint.com/pravetz8d/Pravetz%208D.html
Here you can see pictures of the machine, schematics and rules to make disk controller and disk images of DOS. Soon I will upload all software I have and additional info about the computer.
If you are interested of additional info you can connect to me at:
jorodr@abv.bg

best regards,

George Dramcheff
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Nice photos, looks like I also had the "new" model:

Top:

Back:

I find the Pravetz a more comfortable machine to work on than either the Oric 1 or Atmos. The integrated PSU with an on/off switch is very practical :)
jorodr
Flying Officer

:)))

Post by jorodr »

:)))
Yes, you have the last model. It has sold when nobody buy Pravetz 8D anymore, because there was Pravetz 8C (Apple ][ e clone with 128 RAM and 80 column card) and Pravetz 16 (IBM XT clone). Almost nobody have it. Now I'm working to make my own disk controller with modern chips... I thing to add some additional memory too. If I have a success I'll write to members of the forum. These days I'll upload all dos commands on my pravetz page. If you need more info, write to me :)))

Best regards,

George
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Do you think it is still possible to find working Pravetz 8D ?
I guess a number of people would be interested, because on top of being quite uncommon, it's also a very nice to use machine in practice :)
Egg Shen
1st Star Corporal

Post by Egg Shen »

Wow ! I'm impressed !
This is a very nice and clean design. Cyrillic alphabet is also a quite exotic feature ! :wink:
Concerning integrated PSU, it's a very good idea, I remember, back in the day that it was a weakness in my Oric Atmos, the contact wasn't very good with the PSU cable and as a result, if the Oric moved a bit, it often reseted. This was a real nigthmare especially when copying long listing programms from computer magazines... :cry:

Anyway, I'm looking for an Atmos on eBay, but now, I think I would be interested in finding a Pravetz 8D instead. I don't know if I will ever get a chance to find a computer like this, seems to be quite rare...
jorodr
Flying Officer

Difficult

Post by jorodr »

Sorry, even in Bulgaria it's very difficult to find Pravetz 8D (not only D, 8bit at all). But I'll try to find some if anyone have interest. Not to promice anything, because good old 8-bit computers are in the museum nowadays. But I still love them, so I'm carry on them :) I have several Pravetz 8D, 8C, 8A, 82 with working floppy drives :) When I have found that 5.25 inch are the last in the stores, I bought one hundered :)

Best regards,

George

P.S. I'll upload much more info at my page soon ;)
noch
Private

Post by noch »

ThomH
Flying Officer

Re: Pravetz 8D info

Post by ThomH »

The page originally linked appears to have fallen off the internet in 2012; archive.org has surprisingly much of it — including ROMs and disk images — but excludes all images, including schematics and signal charts. Does anybody know whether this information migrated elsewhere?
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Pravetz 8D info

Post by iss »

jorodr new site - in Bulgarian language only: http://pravetz8.com/home
and Pravetz-8D info: http://pravetz8.com/page.php?language_id=1&id=6493