Oricalchum

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Oricalchum

Post by peacer »

Hi folks !

I was intrigued by the name of this "so called" ancient metal because of its very high level of value. I thought maybe it could be used if a nice name for an hardware or software related to Oric is needed in the future.

Best regards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orichalcum

"Orichalcum or aurichalcum /ˌɔːrɪˈkælkəm/ is a metal mentioned in several ancient writings, including the story of Atlantis in the Critias of Plato. Within the dialogue, Critias (460 – 403 BC) claims that orichalcum had been considered second only to gold in value and had been found and mined in many parts of Atlantis in ancient times, but that by Critias' own time orichalcum was known only by name.

Orichalcum may have been a noble metal such as platinum,[1] as it was supposed to be mined, or one type of bronze or brass or possibly some other metal alloy. In 2015, metal ingots were found in an ancient shipwreck in Gela (Sicily), which were made of an alloy primarily consisting of copper, zinc and small percentages of nickel, lead, and iron.[2][3]"
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Oricalchum

Post by iss »

Accidentally I've found this:
ij-orichalcum.png
and recall about your post immediately
So, the orichalcum is already used in the game industry - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis :)
Attached is the whole manual.

(ps: the post title is misspelled)
Attachments
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - Manual.pdf
(6.53 MiB) Downloaded 2302 times
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Oricalchum

Post by peacer »

Hmm... I played that game many times. Maybe thats why the name sounds familiar to me :) Thank you