Womble here...

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Womble
2nd Star Corporal

Womble here...

Post by Womble »

Hi All

I just joined up as I have on my dining table a partially restored Oric. "Partial" as its now working perfectly as of an hour ago, I just havent got round to giving it the good wash it needs.

Have built an RGB cable for it and its now running through my old Amiga monitor - the modulator did not like my tv or visaversa. So far all I have managed to do is play with the INK and PAPER settings and annoy the missus with ZAP, PING and the others.

Next step is to build the cable to allow it to interface with the ipod mini amp I built to use with the Spectrum.

Any recommendations for demos and games? I get the impression that due to its short life it never got pushed as far technically as say the Speccy or C64 did, many of the games look rather, umm well early 80s as opposed to the amazing things folk managed to get the speccy to do in the early 90s, I guess the Oric was long dead by then. Actually it occured to me that this machine may not have been powered on for over 20 years, it just sprayed jibberish to the screen until I removed and reseated the ROMs, looks like its had a long wait, as well as a long trip to get down under.

Ideally I want to see just what this little orange fella can do, will have a dig around.

Anyhow - thought I would say Hi to you all.

ttfn

W.
Sic Transit Gloria Atari
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Womble here...

Post by Dbug »

Womble wrote:Any recommendations for demos and games? I get the impression that due to its short life it never got pushed as far technically as say the Speccy or C64 did, many of the games look rather, umm well early 80s as opposed to the amazing things folk managed to get the speccy to do in the early 90s, I guess the Oric was long dead by then.
Ideally I want to see just what this little orange fella can do, will have a dig around.
For demos, I would redirect you on this particular message:
http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?t=83
from there you can see more about oric demos.

For games, I would suggest visiting http://www.oric.org and do not forget registrering on the site else you will not be able to see the screenshots. Check the top 10 list, and mostly Pulsoids.

You may also want to check the currently in development game, Space 1999, here: http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?t=135
Womble wrote:Anyhow - thought I would say Hi to you all.
This is very nice of you, you are welcome here, do not hesitate asking question :)

How have you found the forum ?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Welcome abroad!

For information, refer to DBug's post, which includes the most important resources.

BTW DBug, how can I upload software to oric.org? I wanted to post Pinforic (the infocom interpreter), which is not there :(
Womble
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Womble »

Hiya again

Well it works, have made an adaptor for the device I built to connect my ipod to my Spectrum and now I can load Oric tap2wav files from the ipod.

It seems very flakey tho - have tried 2 games and a demo, all seem to load but the games just lock up. The music demo loads and runs fine everytime.

Have tried to used wavcleaner.exe but it just complains the file is in the wrong format - even when its not. Any suggestions?
Dbug wrote: How have you found the forum ?
I found it through google while searching for info on the pinouts on the oric.

Cheers

W.
Sic Transit Gloria Atari
TheSpider
Pilot Officer

Post by TheSpider »

Hiya Orinoco,
Womble wrote:Hi All
I just joined up as I have on my dining table a partially restored Oric. "Partial" as its now working perfectly as of an hour ago, I just havent got round to giving it the good wash it needs.
*snip*
Anyhow - thought I would say Hi to you all.
ttfn
W.
Great to see a Womble in here. We need one to clean up the mess that some of the others leave here! ;)

I see that you are in Oz. My brother has been bumming around your country since April of this year. He started off in Perth, went along the top coast, and is now somewhere in the outback towards the East - really have no idea exactly where now. Recently he has been capturing wild steers from jumping off the back of 4x4 bikes!

Totally understand your problem about getting an Oric running outside its native lands. I have one here in Yankland, which I needed a socket/power transformer for.
It is hooked upto a PAL card in my WinXP PC, and I load/save programs/games to my Atmos, via my Win98 PC and wavs.
Been a little while since I did so, and really need to again soon, to get that real keyboard fix. Euphoric is excellent (and highly recommended), but sometimes you just need the real thing!

Pleasure to have you onboard mate.
Peter (TheSpider) Paterson
A Scotsman in Kentucky
http://thespider.oric.org
http://mintspider.blogspot.com