Sources for MODEM programs

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Chema
Game master

Sources for MODEM programs

Post by Chema »

Hi all.

I have been playing a bit with Vagelis Balthras' MODEM program (MODEM.DSK) and I'd like to know if somebody has the sources somewhere. Just curious about how a few things in the terminal program are done.

The program is in Fabrice's old Oric site, but only in binary (executable inside a disk image) format.

If anyone can shed some light here, it'll be appreciated :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Sources for MODEM programs

Post by ibisum »

Would love to have a copy of this somewhere .. is it in oric.org's archive?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Not sure if you are, like me, asking for the sources, or the actual program. The latter is available here http://oric.free.fr/DISKS/modem.zip

But no sources... anyone?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

As Chema said zipped DSK is available at: http://oric.free.fr/DISKS/ (and many more other interesting things).
I've actually downloaded the same zipped DSK from Alexios Chouchoulas' site: https://oric-soft.bedroomlan.org/files/DISKS/

Unfortunately there are no sources :( It will be very pity if they are lost ...

Some years ago I started to disassemble main program but it's really large and requires much time, so I had abandoned this approach. Anyway in attached MODEM-REPACK.zip you can find extracted all files from DSK to individual TAP's and BASIC sources in TXT files. In the MAIN sub-folder is the result of the disassembling in ASM and LST format.
I doubt it will help but that's all I have.

... and because I needed a terminal program for Oric I wrote my own - OTRM or "Oric TeRMinal" in attached OTRM.dsk.zip
It works in Oricutron but you have to set in Oricutron.cfg file:
serial = 'modem'
serial_address = $31c

After boot you cat type:

Code: Select all

atd telehack.com
to connect to a telnet site ('telehack.com' is real server, you can replace it with any other).
Interesting in OTRM is the 60 column mode. Use CTRL left/right arrow to pan the text content...

@Chema: if you think OTRM will be helpful for you I'll e-mail the sources asap.
Attachments
OTRM.dsk.zip
(50.17 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
MODEM-REPACK.zip
(249.18 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

... and here is a screenshot connected to the fix.no BBS.
otrm.jpg
As you can read it was 'moved' to port 24, so to properly connect you have to type

atd fix.no:24
That's it! :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Well I was thinking about setting up a 60 column mode and maybe tweak the colour mode somehow... you've made most of the work :)

I will check your program indeed, but I am still interested in the sources...

Thanks!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Just checked OTRM and it runs quite well indeed! Well done!

60 column mode is much better than just 40. I only miss the colors.

BTW, what is the blue bar at the bottom for? The only option I am aware of is CTRL+arrow to pan the screen...
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

The only thing I have is the Oricomms software. There's also Oricall.

I'm not sure what there is out there to connect a modem to ??? Are there any BBS or things like that?

Oricall needed a host PC housing the software that could be downloaded with the modem, but I don't think anyone but Jon Haworth had the necessary PC software for this(?) so I'm not sure if Oricall is of any use now. :(
Last edited by Steve M on Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

There are actually some bbs working and accesible through telnet. Of course you need a serial add-on for your Oric and some equipment to implement a gateway, but that is the easy part. There are some progs for Linux (and Windows, I think) which would do it, for instance https://packages.debian.org/jessie/net/tcpser

But there use to be boxes which did all the work, with a serial input and Ethernet/Wifi output which emulated a Hayes modem. Someting such as this: https://www.ebay.es/itm/HLK-RM04-Hi-lin ... 2749.l2649

The Spanish retro site Retrowiki has set up a bbs just for fun. It is still under configuration, but you can see several retro computers connecting to it (including the Oric, albeit emulated) here http://www.retrowiki.es/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=200034996
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

@Chema: I'm very glad that you like OTRM :).
The blue bar will be status bar, currently it shows only -/+ when not/connected to server.
Special keys are only CTRL left/right arrows, and CTRL-X to quit the program.
It's work in progress and part of my 'Oric Communication package'.
OTRM is not just 'nc'-like console but it includes telnet protocol handler and simplified VT100 terminal emulation.
About the colors - it's possible but it will be very Oric-specific (color attributes require always extra bytes), right?

Here is another demo: NTP client for Oric :)
The BASIC part is nice clock - it's originally a type-in from BG magazine (I'm not sure who's the author).
I modified it little to automatically adjust current time, which is retrieved from NTP service :).

ntp-clock.png
Attachments
NTP-CLOCK.dsk.zip
(43.95 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Wow, very nice. :)

So this means without a doubt, there is the construction of an 8-bit Hub or two in my future, or perhaps there is planned support for the Twilighte Cards' UART's, at some point?
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Chema wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:43 pm There are actually some bbs working and accesible through telnet. Of course you need a serial add-on for your Oric and some equipment to implement a gateway, but that is the easy part. There are some progs for Linux (and Windows, I think) which would do it, for instance https://packages.debian.org/jessie/net/tcpser

But there use to be boxes which did all the work, with a serial input and Ethernet/Wifi output which emulated a Hayes modem. Someting such as this: https://www.ebay.es/itm/HLK-RM04-Hi-lin ... 2749.l2649

The Spanish retro site Retrowiki has set up a bbs just for fun. It is still under configuration, but you can see several retro computers connecting to it (including the Oric, albeit emulated) here http://www.retrowiki.es/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=200034996
I am writing 'drivers' for HLK-RM04 under Orix.

There is also gateway program from Fabrice. It opens a TCP connection to a port to internet (client or server) for example. It works because Fabrice and me played to Tea for Two chess game with this tool with a real Telestrat in 2002 or 2003 ...

I did a little client under Telestrat to connect to Irc in 2000's with gateway program
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

ibisum wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 pm Wow, very nice. :)

perhaps there is planned support for the Twilighte Cards' UART's, at some point?
Yes but it's not finished (hardware and software :)
Badger
Pilot Officer

Post by Badger »

iss wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:35 pm
... and because I needed a terminal program for Oric I wrote my own - OTRM or "Oric TeRMinal" in attached OTRM.dsk.zip
It works in Oricutron but you have to set in Oricutron.cfg file:
serial = 'modem'
serial_address = $31c

After boot you cat type:

atd telehack.com
to connect to a telnet site ('telehack.com' is real server, you can replace it with any other).
Interesting in OTRM is the 60 column mode. Use CTRL left/right arrow to pan the text content...
I started to write my own terminal software for use with the wifi module and while looking around I came across this thread.

I tried OTRM using oricutron and connecting to a locahost bbs running mystic and was very impressed. Are the sources available anywhere as I would like to be able (with permission of course) to use the display engine and user input routines.

I was also wondering, does it render data as its received or have some kind of receive / transmit buffer.
Ian
flag_uk Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic.