Oric Explorer V2.0

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Oric Explorer V2.0

Post by Yicker »

Hi,

Having just seen a review of Oric Explorer V2.0 in the last 2 editions of the CEO magazine I thought it best that I give an update as to where the project current stands.

Unfortunately the V2.0 source code wasn't actually suppose to be made public even though I did upload it to the Oric Explorer website which is why as the reviewer correctly stated it is in a very unfinished state. I started on V2 some time ago but do to family and work commitments I had to cease development as I just wasn't getting any free time to work on it.

However as there seems to be a demand for Oric Explorer I've decided to start up development again and hopefully make some progress on getting it to be the application I want it to be.

I'll begin be tidying up what is already there and making it stable and usable as well as providing some form of help or documentation describing what options and functionality are available. Once that's done I'll make a start on adding further functions such as being able to edit files/programs, allowing drag and drop between tapes and disks and vice versa etc. The disk handling code needs a re-write so that it can handle all the available formats and versions of disk operating systems. I'll also get the website updated with newer screenshots.

Thank-you to all who continue to use and support Oric Explorer. :)

Regards
Scott
Chema
Game master

Re: Oric Explorer V2.0

Post by Chema »

Hi Yicker!

Glad to hear you'll be continuing with the development of Oric Explorer. If you'd accept a request, I remember having some problems with the way it uses the folders where images are stored. IIRC you had to enter some folders and it scanned them for images (tap and dsk). I also think this was a quite slow process.

I really would prefer, even if only as an option, to open the application and load the file I want through the usual Open File Dialog (the requester), so I can navigate anywhere to open my disk or tape image.

And, yes. Once you are able to drag files from a tap or another dsk to include them in a disk image, maybe editing names, etc.. it would be invaluable indeed!!!
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

That's very good news.
I hope that you'll be able to continue your marvelous project.

You've a lot of oric fans of your software.
Best regards, Didier
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I'm also using it quite often - when playing with Oric things of course. It's an amazing helper, so I hope yu find some time, enjoyment and energy to go back to it ;)

If you ever need more requests ( :mrgreen: ) I'd find interesting to have the cycles used by each assembler instruction, here's an example (2nd column):

Code: Select all

0419	4    AD 00 03  LDA 0300	Réinit flag sur CB1
041C	4    AD 0D 03  LDA 030D	Lire le flag de CB1 (front montant reçu)
041F	2    29 10	  AND #10	Le tester
0421	2/3  F0 F9	  BEQ -7	Si flag non positionné: on boucle en attendant
0423	4    AD 08 03  LDA 0308	Lire la durée dans A
0426	4    8D 09 03  STA 0309	Réinit du décompte timer
But anyway, great program, keep having fun working on your ideas before all ;)
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

I really adore that program. Especially hires picture viewer is amazing.

Especially I am keen on your "Editors for HIRES & TEXT screens, Character Sets, BASIC Programs and 6502 Machine Code." feature you wrote in "New Features and Enhancements" page. I hope you made some imrovements on that..
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'm not (currently) a subscriber to CEO, but from what I can gather the fact that there is a thriving user base that responds to releases such as yours means, indeed that there is life in the Oric yet. So such as you submit, vis a vis current status, is a curious and interesting addition to the current Oric milieu. (Wish I spoke French though..)

Every time I encounter a release for the Oric, I step a little closer to doing my own ..
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi,

Does anyone know what format HyperBasic on the Telestrat using when saving BASIC programs to disk?

They don't appear to be in the usual format such as address of next line, line no., data etc..

Cheers
Scott
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi,

Just to let you all know, the Screenshots page on the Oric Explorer website has been updated with some new images to show the changes that have been made from the previous version.

http://oric.mrandmrsdavies.com/screenshots.html

Let me know what you think.

Cheers
Scott
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

It looks very nice! Thanks for your work and sharing.
BTW, currently the download link is dead. The requested URL /files/OricExplorerV2_0.zip was not found on this server. :(
... or may be you are just updating it.
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Oops sorry iss, :? I should've taken that link out as it's not ready for release just yet.

Hoping to have something ready before Christmas that people can test and play around with.

Cheers
Scott