ZX Vega: the Spectrum's return

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
maximus
Flying Officer

ZX Vega: the Spectrum's return

Post by maximus »

No I'm not speaking about the next James Bond :mrgreen:

I know here it's Oric passion

But this creation make me dream :wink:

english fans of the computer ZX Spectrum have created that jewel:

from the Huff (french)

crowdfunding

ZX VEGA website

33 years after, the spectrum is back , it's a console version, without keyboard, and it includes 1000 games, ready to play !

The crowfunding needed 100.000 £ to succeed, the goal was reached in 36 hours !

The limited edition (1000 units) has been sold out very quickly, and the L.E. 2 is proposed and under fabrication

here is the original Spectrum:

I ordered one for 115 £ (186 €), including shipping

stay tuned :wink:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CN8aDkgqHn4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Steve M
Squad Leader

Re: ZX Vega: the Spectrum's return

Post by Steve M »

I think it'll still be useful to wedge a door open.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

In a smilar way, apparently some people recreated the real computer (at least looking like) :
http://sinclair.recreatedzxspectrum.com/
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Yeah, but if I am not mistaken it is just a (really expensive) Bluetooth keyboard, which you can use as controller for iOS or android devices together with a simulation software. Maybe useful with a PC too.

Reminds me of what Fabrice did for Oric https://youtu.be/uwGg3szve8I

For a real recreation of the Spectrum hardware check (in Spanish, sorry)

http://trastero.speccy.org/cosas/JL/Har ... erfo1.html

Some people have already built it :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Chema wrote:Yeah, but if I am not mistaken it is just a (really expensive) Bluetooth keyboard, which you can use as controller for iOS or android devices together with a simulation software.
If I'm not mistaken the video said you could plug in on any modern TV, so I suspect there's at least some emulator inside too.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Chema wrote:Yeah, but if I am not mistaken it is just a (really expensive) Bluetooth keyboard, which you can use as controller for iOS or android devices together with a simulation software. Maybe useful with a PC too.

Reminds me of what Fabrice did for Oric https://youtu.be/uwGg3szve8I

For a real recreation of the Spectrum hardware check (in Spanish, sorry)

http://trastero.speccy.org/cosas/JL/Har ... erfo1.html

Some people have already built it :)

It's not this one, but same sort of mentality behind, I refrain to comment on this project, but most of the speccy user I know are not happy at all about this stuff.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

I just read ComputerActive's review of this machine - not very flattering. Seems a potentially fun machine is let down by clumsy design.
wsdefe
Private

Post by wsdefe »

Can't agree more with you, totally clumsy design ! coque sony xperia Z5 Premium housse sony xperia Z5 Premium
kamelito
Flying Officer

Post by kamelito »

This seems to be the real return !

http://www.specnext.com/

Kamelito
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

To be frank I personally don't get the point of these new designs. It is great to have hardware replacements to keep the machine alive, it is great to have new devices to emulate peripherals or make it easier to load things, but a completely new machine?

What is the difference between this and a RaspberryPi and emulation software? The keyboard?

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed by the technical challenge and the capabilities of the designers, but that is my own personal point of view...
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well I agree with Chema as long as one sticks to software. But I like the idea of having original extensions working.
If a new machine could get us rid of usual problems ("weak signal on expansion port", "how do I plug a modern screen"...) and allow us using 100% of our Oric additional hardware (and why not original keyboards, like Oric-1's to play Zorgons Revenge correctly !), I'd buy it for sure.
Things like MIST for Atari or Armiga are quite cool but they still miss some of the original expansion ports (cartridge, RS232, parallel...)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Symoon wrote:If a new machine could get us rid of usual problems ("weak signal on expansion port", "how do I plug a modern screen"...) and allow us using 100% of our Oric additional hardware (and why not original keyboards, like Oric-1's to play Zorgons Revenge correctly !), I'd buy it for sure.
That's EXACTELY what the Oric Pegasus (NewOric) is! A real Oric with all the connection of the Oric with modern output (and bonus give some new functionalities, but they are only bonuses and not the main reason of this.
Oh and no SuperCPU hidden behind, no emulation, just a proper 65C02 or 65C816 with real memory, the FPGA will be here only for replacing the ULA, the AY sound chip as it can't be found anymore, and some of the logic on the oric (plus some of the logic needed for the new features) and as a 65C02 could be use you could even replace it by a NMOS 6502 if you have one!

But Exepansion connector will have proper buffered output, a proper video output with SVideo, RGB, VGA and potentially HDMI, Mouse port (why not!) and all the clunky video mode we love with the Oric, but with one overlay that slightly expand the Oric capability, but just slightly, and without changing any of the working of the Oric Atmos.

I design the Pegasus as if OPI was trying to make a real successor to the ATMOS with new functionality without breaking the compatibility, so basically not what the Stratos/Telestrat is.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

You both have a point here, with the possibility of plugging in classic hardware without problems. I must admit that :)

But besides that (think about the usual Oric+Cumulus+PC for loading in games) it makes little difference if it is an emulation running on something like a Raspberry Pi (featuring instant loading, direct connection to TV, good keyboard and mapping possibilities, serial port emulation,...) or a new hardware design with the same options. If only an original case+keyboard (in the case of the atmos, which is a nice machine with a good keyboard) could be used... And still, the sensation, for me, is having a 30+ year-old machine running :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

I'm going to try to make it fit the 1/Atmos case, for a simple reason, no case design to be done, just need to swap the main PCB ;)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I am *ready* to swap the PCB in my Atmos case, Godzil. Let me know when you are ready. :)