Disk Images with Tape Files

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
StarshipUK
2nd Star Corporal

Disk Images with Tape Files

Post by StarshipUK »

I posted the request here: http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopi ... 904#p10904

But also thought I would a seperate thread.

I am still looking for compilations of games or individual games that have been converted from TAP to DSK and preferably auto load or with Menu Loaders.

I take machines to events so need this to be as easy/simple to use as possible, and would also be good to have a good choice of the best Oric games available.

Now a lot of people have Cumulus I am guessing a lot of people will also be looking for this.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Disk Images with Tape Files

Post by Hialmar »

There are a lot of those on oric.org and even more on CEO disks but you need to be in the CEO to be able to download them.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

The Rhetoric disks are being put on oric.org.

Several disks have a menu system you can adapt to your own use.
Hopefully I've attached a disk image which is a compilation of IJK titles. I have another 2 of these. PM me your email if you want the other two.
You can get dsk versions of games like ZipnZap and Pulsoids and Chema's recent games.
Attachments
IJKBEST1.DSK
(512.75 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Is there any restriction to sharing these things freely among us these days - I understand in the case of the CEO, but anything else? I've held off on CEO membership because I don't speak French (and I heard this was the last year of CEO?) so I'm kind of curious as to what will happen with the archive when its gone?
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

The Rhetoric disks are to be put on oric.org to make them available for all. I prefer if these and OUM disks have the instructions/ details with them, but I know once they are out there that may be lost.

The archive seemed to focus on tape images as they were originally released. Apart from the few French releases the things on disk were often converted by users who also converted some Oric-1 titles to be Atmos compatible. These weren't initially included in the archives as they wanted the software in its original state. Titles on Rhetoric and OUM, and the IJK compilation I mention, contain material that has been converted from tape to disk. Sometimes this is a very minor alteration.
Some of the CEO releases rewrote the code to allow joystick use, for example. So there can be several different versions of the same thing on disk.

I don't know what is happening with CEO.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

The last year of CEO? I doubt it.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Well its quite exciting to hear that there are still yet more things to be discovered .. and I hope that we can preserve as much of these archives as possible. I think there are going to be new Oric users in the future - at least the two new ones (5 and 7) in our house are keen on seeing what else the Oric can do.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

@ibisum :
the last year of ceo
shit, i wasn't at last visu, as godzil i've never heard of this point and, as the publishing resp. of the ceo-mag, i doubt about it. i hope that we'll be able to continue for a long time.
i think that there's 3 important things for oric community :
- this forum (and forums.oric.org for non-english readers)
- oric.org for the archive of oric things (software, mags, ...)
- ceo for exchanges, visus and the mag (i know that french part is big but if english people is sending me some articles, it can change).

@steve :
I've all Rhetoric mags (miss 20) - i've scanned them - , and there's 4 rhetoric disks on oric.org. If there's more disks, it's possible to put them on the web, i have an access to the oric.org database so i can save them on oric.org. I think it's the best solution today to save an oric disk, mag or book on the internet (and it's easy to search something in oric.org). I send you my mail in pm
I've also 10 Oum mags, but it's very difficult to find them. I hope that in the future, it will be possible to find them and read this big part of oric history.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Guys - I'm sorry for the panic, its just something thought I'd heard on the forums somewhere, that CEO was going to stop this year, but I could be very wrong and I apologize to everyone for the panic. I'll try to find where I heard this 'rumour' and squash it for good ..
StarshipUK
2nd Star Corporal

Post by StarshipUK »

I am taking my modded Oric (With both Oric 1 and Oric ATMOS ROM) to an event this year with Cumulus and am still looking for some suitable and decent games to have on it at the event. Sadly I do not have time to convert games myself, but am hoping perhaps some people in the community would have already converted them. Please can anyone help?

I am after games suitable to run at events such as arcade, platforms, shooters, some sports (racing). I am not after RPGs, Strategy or any other complex or time consuming games that would take too long to learn or play through at an event.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I made a personal compilation with a few games and uploaded it here (look for the games1.dsk file link) http://www.retrowiki.es/fororw/viewtopi ... 99eec4a758

But there are many good games missing.

Then you have other disk based games available for download here http://www.defence-force.com/index?page=games

(May I suggest Oricium for a fast and easy to learn shooter? ;) )

Hope this helps.