About Oricutron's AVI video capture

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Dbug
Site Admin

About Oricutron's AVI video capture

Post by Dbug »

I'm not sure if everybody is aware of that, but using Oricutron you can record an AVI movie of whatever happens in the emulator. There was problems of timings (the audio got out of sync with the video after a while) but this has been solved in Oricutron 0.9.

The great thing is that this codec is lossless (pixel perfect) and natively accepted by YouTube, so it's trivial to do things like demo reviews or game walk-through using it.

The one annoying thing, is that for some reason VLC was not displaying the colors correctly. I opened a ticket on the bug reporting system of VLC (https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/5952) and apparently now the bug is fixed, so I guess the next versions of VLC will display the videos from Oricutron correctly.

Yeah \o/
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Re: About Oricutron's AVI video capture

Post by peacer »

I checked everywhere including code.google.com pages but I could not find an explanation "how to avi export" on Oricutron.

There's no menu option, no config file line, nothing..

How do we save avi from Oricutron ?

The only thing I found about AVI capturing is in here

https://code.google.com/p/oriculator/
Notes about AVI capture

The AVI export uses the MRLE codec. Your favourite player might not support it, but MPlayer plays it, ffmpeg converts it and you can upload it directly to youtube.

Note that the MRLE codec shows up some endian-issues on the Amiga OS4 port of MPlayer, so it will sound crappy and have wrong colours until those bugs are fixed :-(
UPDATE : I foung my answer myself . Its just F10 key :D
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I have not found a player which could play oricutron AVI captures. This is quite annoying because, as Dbug pointed out, the format is perfect for uploading to youtube.

Not even the latest VLC version (2.0.7 win 64 experimental). It complains about the file, tries to repair and all I get is a black screen with my latest video. Other versions and/or videos showed wrong colors.

Seems the bug appeared again :/ so we will have to wait.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I managed to find one that plays these videos correctly:
http://smplayer.sourceforge.net
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Works perfectly!

Thanks Dbug!!
:)
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

KMPlayer is the only video player that I'm using for running videos in all formats.

It plays ANY video format without any problem, it can easily get screen capture as still picture or video capture from loaded video. No video decoder setup is needed and it has its own codes. It supports any subtitle iles too. Of course it plays oricutron generated avis and its free.

http://www.kmpmedia.net/
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Hello,

I've succeeded in reading oricutron.avi files with players.
But i've not been able to include it in a videomaker software even a big one.

Does anybody has converted video files from oricutron to a standard codec ?
Done, with virtualdub. Now i'll try to import it in a hd video file !
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga