Euphoric LCD display related question

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Brana
Flying Officer

Euphoric LCD display related question

Post by Brana »

Hello, it's me again

On some LCD monitors, especially on Lap-Top computers running WinXP, when I launch the Euphoric (any version of emulator!) picture on screen is partial, that is to say - the lower (bottom) part of the picture is far below the screen of the LCD monitor.

Example: on Oric TEXT mode first 21 lines of text can be viewed, but futher below - cannot be seen (it is "below" the screen of the monitor itself).

When I use Display type "Q" on Euphoric INI file, the picture is totaly "scrambled" on THESE monitors - only "X" display type is usable, and on "X" - the "bottom" of the Oric screen is "far below" the monitor display...

Is there any work-arround for this problem?

I know that Euphoric works excelent on any NON-LCD monitor(s) type(s)even on WinXP!

EDIT: I have found "Oriculator (WIP)" at the address of:

http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?t=458

THIS one could "solve" this problem, but it is un-complete version (does not support Oric Diskets) that I need :(

Also I have found "Caloric" at the following address:

http://revolf.free.fr/oric/

but this one I do not know how to install !

EDIT/EDIT - I have installed it, but his screen output is much too small! :((
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

My question here is still active :(
A lot of laptops have the problem that manifest itself on Euphoric in a way that the bottom of the screen from within the Euphoric is not visible under WinXP. Is there any work-around for this problem? Could it be fixed if I install Win98 on these laptops?
Note: I have tried to use a DosBox program under WinXP on these computers, but Euphoric under DosBox runs incredibly slow so it is useless :(
Would it be helpful if I post a technical information regarding these laptops?
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Since your original post, Oricutron (renamed from Oriculator) now supports disks and works pretty well.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Yes Brana, certainly Oricutron is the way to go nowadays. It is very stable and supports disks with no problem.

However I never experienced any problems running Euphoric on a laptop, and currently I use it running under DosBox for developing with the OSDK and it is not that slow anyway.

Cheers
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Regarding Oriculator:

Is this the link from where I should download it (for WinXP)?

http://code.google.com/p/oriculator/downloads/list

I already tried it; it does not work on my computer (WinXP, 300Mhz CPU, 384MB RAM).
All it does is - it launches Oric main (white) screen with the "Ready" message and the blinking cursor and it's stuck (does not respond to keyboard nor to mouse).
It can not even be closed by the "X" button, I have to end it's process from within Ctrl+Alt+Del option under WinXP :(

Perhaps my computer is too slow for it (?)
I have saved it on my memory stick and I'll test it on some better computers down town when I got the chance, and I'll let you know :)

Regarding the DOS Box:

I have used the version 0.63 from the URL

http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/dosbox/

Is there a "better" or newer one (?)

But it is tooo slooow emulating the Euphoric :(
Example: (under DosBox) I launch the Euphoric with the Oric CPU at 1Mhz. Then I press F1 and get the Euphoric command screen. When I press F1 again - to return to regular "Oric" screen - I can see the picture scrolls down very slowly under DosBox.
And this is the same on mine computer, as well on WinXP running 1.6Ghz CPU.
Perhaps I am using some out-dated DosBox (?)
Any suggestions please?

Edit: Actually - if it isn't so slow - the DosBox could work out very well for me! :(
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

WinXP on a 300Mhz PC? Evrything will be slow, not just Oriculator.

You'd be better off running Win98SE on that and using Euphoric without DOSBox - that's pretty much the system it was designed for. You'll get better performance all round.
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Well, first of all, the 300Mhz PC is currently the best that I have...
And it IS a multi-boot computer (Win98 and WinXP on it).
I do use Win98 on it in 80% of occasions :)
I need WinXP usualy only for accessing the memory of my mobile phone (Sony Ericsson K750i) that has no drivers for Win98.
But with some registry tweaks (as well as change to virtual memory) - it's performances under WinXP are quite acceptable ;)
I am not asking the DosBox (or any other) solution for THIS computer ;)
I need some work-around when I use "faster" computers downtown... And DosBox is slow on those faster computers?! (1.6Ghz CPU)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

DosBox is slow, as it is software emulation. It would be much better to use virtualization.

However I use it with my 1.7 GHz laptop and runs quite nicely.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I really depend of the processor/architecture, I installed DosBox on my 1ghz Android ARM laptop, and things like DOS games are running super smoothly.

Now yeah a 300mhz machine may struggle