Euphoric and notebooks (eeePC)

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Symoon
Archivist

Euphoric and notebooks (eeePC)

Post by Symoon »

I have already experienced some notebooks that, even using Windows 98, didn't run Euphoric at all (hardware incompatibility, no display, probably because of the graphic chip).

As I am considering buying and eeePC 901 (with XP), my question is: has anyone already run Euphoric on an Asus eeePC with Windows XP ?
jede
Flying Officer

Re: Euphoric and notebooks (eeePC)

Post by jede »

Symoon wrote:I have already experienced some notebooks that, even using Windows 98, didn't run Euphoric at all (hardware incompatibility, no display, probably because of the graphic chip).

As I am considering buying and eeePC 901 (with XP), my question is: has anyone already run Euphoric on an Asus eeePC with Windows XP ?
Hello,

I am using a netbook : a kind of MSI wind (Advent) Euphoric is running under dos mode with eht sound.

Dosbox could be used
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I can't really say if the eee 901 on XP can be used with Euphoric, but what I can say is taht eee 901 + Ubuntu eee + DosBox + Euphoric = working system (even if you have to do a tradeof between sound quality and screen refresh).
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks for the replies.
I'd love to avoid DosBox, to keep things simple and have something running at a correct speed...
I'll let you know the test result if I dedicde to buy a eeePc ;)
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

i think the one with xp has twice the ram.

presumably because xp is such a pile of crap that it needs twice the ram to stand a chance against linux.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, in norway the linux and xp edition were different. They were sold at the same price, with 1 gig of ram both, but the linux version has 20 gigs of SSD (4+16) where the XP version has 12 ( 4+8 )
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote:Well, in norway the linux and xp edition were different. They were sold at the same price, with 1 gig of ram both, but the linux version has 20 gigs of SSD (4+16) where the XP version has 12 ( 4+8 )
The latest XP version in France (901-BK051X for black, or 901-W051X for white) has now 16GB of SSD, and an enhanced battery (8700mAh). See
http://www.blogeee.net/2008/11/16/le-no ... une-bombe/

I got one now, but not before testing Euphoric first: it works like a charm under XP (no DOSBox or anything). Sound is not perfect though, just like experienced on my other XP laptops: when a music is played, there's this neverending DADADADADADADA sound. So on Euphoric side: no good and no bad surprise.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Would be cool to try Caloric :)
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

there used to be a program for running dos games on xp,

it emulated a soundblaster isa card, and translated & re-routed the audio to the AC97 codec or whatever you had.

maybe you can find it.
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

found it.

http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc ... T-i386.msi
:)

next-time use a real o.s. ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I used to use VDMS when I was using Windows 2000, but in my experience the type of sound I got was on par with what I got when running Euphoric with DosBox.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hi,

I'll try Caloric and let you know, but I don't see why it wouldn't work ;-)

VDMSound: tried it a wile ago, but found that when using it, the keyboard answered very slowly... So I quit using it. Should I try again?
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Symoon wrote:Hi,

I'll try Caloric and let you know, but I don't see why it wouldn't work ;-)

VDMSound: tried it a wile ago, but found that when using it, the keyboard answered very slowly... So I quit using it. Should I try again?
hello,

Here is a caloric version, built without the debugger.

http://www.oric.org/CaloricInstall.EXE

It's an installer, you can install it anywhere.

You can't resize the window.

Some hints :

To start caloric with microdisc : caloric -d

The ini file is : caloric.ini

all dll are included in the binary, but many are not used. These dll are mainly used for the debugger (It's disabled, because it comes with a lot of bugs).
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

jede wrote:Here is a caloric version, built without the debugger.
Ah, sorry, I tested the version you previoulsy released.
It works fine ! Once I recalled how to use "old versions of Euphoric" (I do know that it's not what Caloric is, no bad feeling behind what I'm saying), for instance having to put the .TAP extension when cloading a file.

Anyway, perfect, no slowdown. I Cloaded The Hellion a played a few levels. The sound is not perfect, but IIRC, nothing new here.

Let me know if you want me to test your latest release, Jede, or if I should focus on a special test.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Well Caloric is based on some older euphoric, it would really benefit from diffs to the latest version...