Linux (Ubuntu,...) & Euphoric

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
maximus
Flying Officer

Linux (Ubuntu,...) & Euphoric

Post by maximus »

what about this OS which is growing in audience ?

a lot of of computer in future will not have Windows
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, here I have three computers, the two laptops are running Ubuntu, and the desktop is a Dual Boot Ubuntu/Windows XP.

So yes, I sure hope at some point to have everything on Linux so i do not have to use Windows anymore.
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

ouch 2 linux on 3 PC :shock: windows is soon dead :lol:

so what about compatibilty with euphoric ? i tried, it doesn't work at all :?

Vista or Linux, what a future for an Oric fan ! :?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, if Microsoft was not so retarded, and realised that the money is not in the operating system, but in the applications, and the fact of having the control on the operating system is just a way to get the power, they could just have perfect the existing Windows, instead of trying to create more expensive, bloated, DRM infested versions...

I was pretty happy of my Windows 2000, had to stop using it because more and more applications from Microsoft have been designed on purpose to refuse to work on it (Age of Empire III, Windows Live Messenger, Silverlight, ...).

Considering they are pushing people out of XP (so far they fail) so they switch to Vista, I'm bored enough to stop investing any more time in Windows.

For emulators, well, it's going to get better after it has got worse :D
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Having never used Linux so far, I have never tested it, but there's (at least) a Linux port of Euphoric, called, IIRC, XEuphoric.
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

:D agree with you DBug about windoze, it's now Win-Overdoze :lol:

thankz Symoon for xeuphorix, i will try, but i found no subject about it here, no ?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

maximus wrote:thankz Symoon for xeuphorix, i will try, but i found no subject about it here, no ?
It's probably because its author, André Majorel, doesn't like web-based forums, and only visits (or used to visit?) comp.sys.oric.
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

Ha la la j'ai finalement réussi à installer et utiliser Ubuntu avec un immense bonheur et une fois dépassé les difficultés du débutant, j'avoue être séduit

ainsi xeuphoric, si j'ai bien compris, fonctionne sur toutes les versions de Linux, passées, présentes et futures ?

le net est bien pauvre en information sur ce choix technique et souhaitant rédiger un dossier, toute aide sera la bienvenue
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Actually there's also Caloric, which is a more evolved version of XEuphoric.
For some peculiar reasons (the debugger mostly) I'm still using Euphoric+Dosbox on Linux, but I will for sure switch to a native Linux emulator at some point, if only for performance reasons :)

Dosbox+Euphoric on my Ubuntu eeePC is kind of border line. I can have decent sound, or decent framerate, but not both.
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

:D DOS-Box sur Linux, Dbug sait tout faire, là ça devient du vice, pourquoi pas Internet Explorer :lol:

ça serait interessant que tu expliques comment tu fais ça :?:

merci pour l'info Caloric :wink:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, Euphoric is not a windows program, it's a DOS program. So using DosBox to run it makes sense already on Windows 2000/Xp/Vista since it gives things like windowed modes, and better audio.

And well, DosBox exists on Linux as well, so you can run the same Dos Euphoric using it. Nothing special.
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

:D So Dear DBug, things evident for you, are not natural for everybody, especially for me :lol:

I hope you will help us to use Linux/Caloric ou Linux/Dosbox

afterall, linux is probably the future
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

First you have to install dosbox, on Ubuntu it's in the default list of packages you can install with the "Synaptic Package Manager" (that you can access from the "System -> Administration -> ..." menu).

Just search for "dosbox", select it in the result list, right click "mark for installation", then click on "Apply" in the icon bar. Should install it.

After that, you go in the correct folder, and when you type "dosbox" it will run doxbox... who by default will try to load and run a "dosbox.conf" file in the current folder. Mine is a copy of the default one, with just that added at the end:

Code: Select all

[autoexec]
  mount c /home/mike/Euphoric
  c:
  set ORIC=c:\
  euphoric.exe prog.tap
Hope it helps :)
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

:D great DBUG look at this:

difficult to modify dosbox.conf because in root sector unwritable in ubuntu