remakes of Oric games

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Dbug wrote:Manic Miner is not an Oric classic. It's a classic which happen to have been ported on the Oric ;)
Not quite true. The Oric version has better sound and 16 more screens than the Speccy version. It was regularly amongst gamers favourites in the OUM polls. Absolutely an Oric classic IMHO!
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Perhaps we are getting a little confused about the term Classic?
Manic Miner was an Oric Classic and a Spectrum Classic, why shouldn't it be classed as such?
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Xenon-1 is an Oric classic but it was ported from a Beeb which IJK found easier to program on.

You could vastly reduce the Oric classics if you only allowed those titles written only on the Oric. Many games originated on other machines even if they were written on the Oric.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Put that on the english understanding.

I guess I was thinking of 'classic' as games that were particularly showing something specific to the oric, like l'Aigle d'or, Le Diamant de l'Ile maudite, Doggy, Painter, etc...

Not necessary 'exclusive' games, they could have been ported later (like Dungeon Master on the Atari ST). What would be the right word for describing these games ?

(The fact a game has been developed on a machine is not relevant, most console games are developed on PCs)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

"More popular in France" ? :D

Painter was an old game. It's one of a group of games like Panic and the various Invaders which were popular on other machines. Classic games for the Oric must include such as Defence Force, surely? It's a great game though hardly unique to the Oric, just like Manic Miner. I think Manic Miner qualifies because of the extra screens.

I think Doggy, Psychiatric and Cock'In were classics, as were Zebulon and Don't Panic. Rabbit, Frelon and Delta 4 too. Ratsplat, Trouble in Store and Dracula's Revenge as well.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Woohoo, someone mentioned two of my games! :lol:
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Yeah - I knew you were looking though :o)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Doh!