Orical Backgammon (Dormere Software)

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Symoon
Archivist

Orical Backgammon (Dormere Software)

Post by Symoon »

I'm transferring Orical Backgammon and found the following strange things on my tape:
Apparently the program on the tape was re-recorded in fast speed above slow speed. Original exact recording order or speed unknown, though the manual states "2 fast load versions of the game on each side".
My version is tagged "V.07 070384", but keeps saying "bad load".
Another version, taken from Oric.org, is tagged "V.09 220384".

So apparently, several versions were published? Could anyone that have an original tape check what are the recordings (fast or slow) on each side, and tell me the version number? (need to Hex edit the file, it's written near the "bad load" sentence at the beginning).
Godzil
Squad Leader

Re: Orical Backgammon (Dormere Software)

Post by Godzil »

I wonder, when you "digitalize" tape, what is your process? Do you store a high fidelity records of the tape audio, or do you only "read" them with a (virtual) oric then make tap file?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Sorry for the off-topic, as I have never heard about this game, but this post remembered me that there is an oric program I once saw (and tested!) but never appeared in any database or reference: its name was Quimoric or something similar, and showed the periodic table of elements and don't know if something else.

Anyone remembers? Any chance of getting a copy?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I digitalize both sides in stereo, 44khz, 8 bits.
Then I choose one channel from one of the recordings, and convert it using Fabrice's tools (a little modified by myself). This allows me to check errors, and use anotoher channel if needed.

I check each recording on each side is similar, including the slow version if it exists.
As there is no MS-Dos converter for slow version ('been working on one for years, it's hell), the slow version is converted by loading the WAV and saving it at fast speed on emulator using a tape copy program (Deblock or Multicopy).
If I have no fast-version to comapre the result with (to check errors), I then convert the slow version again using another channel, and check I have the same result.

And ultimately of course I try to run the TAP file.

It's a matter of minutes if the tape is good. It can be a matter of weeks, months, years when it's not (waiting for another tape...)

PS: in 2004, I posted my method in the CEO Mag 170 (and followings). Since then I modified it to be more efficient by modifying tools and avoid useless bytes between multiple parts of programs.
PS2: when I have absolutely zero result with the MS-Dos tools, I try to load on a real Oric. This can also give good results, but doesn't allow to check errors (would need to work on a program for this ;)). Only spend time on this when the tape seems rare...
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I think mine is fast on one side (x2)and slow on the other.
I'll try and have alook later. ( I should be working in the garden now. My computer is broken though so I'm setting up my old XP one. Euphoric works on it :o))
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

I've this tap from dave"s gamebase.
Attachments
Orical Backgammon.tap
(30.8 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

coco.oric wrote:I've this tap from dave"s gamebase.
Hi Didier, I can't remember for sure but I think I got the TAP from Oric.Org as I have never owned the original. It will likely be the same as the one Symoon has already tested.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Symoon wrote:tagged "V.09 220384".
Where can i see the tag ?
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Godzil wrote:I wonder, when you "digitalize" tape, what is your process? Do you store a high fidelity records of the tape audio, or do you only "read" them with a (virtual) oric then make tap file?
BTW Godzil, I realize I may not have fully replied to your question: no, I don't store the digitalized tape. This would certainly be the best thing to do, but would take huge amounts of storage (several tera-bytes).
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

coco.oric wrote:
Symoon wrote:tagged "V.09 220384".
Where can i see the tag ?
Thanks Didier but Dave is right, it's the one from Oric.org.
Our works complemente each other in a different way: I think Dave wants to be as complete as possible, on my side I only want to bring transfers from 100% original unmodified sources (tapes), with all docs, having been frustrated by modified, badly transfered or undocumented files on the Internet. And then help updating Oric.org with it if I have time to (which didn't happen much the past few years).

To find the tag you have to hex edit the file, with HxD for Windows (free), for instance (do not mix with HxC ;) ), just scroll down a few lines (depends on the version, the amount of synch bytes kept i the tape file, ...)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I got Orical Invaders and Orical Backgammon out. Had some problems loading the tape and no joy converting using BDDISK. For some reason tapes won't load when I run BDDISK. Couldn't get fast version of Invaders to work but loaded the slow version. Been trying different tape recorders with no joy so I'm not sure if it is a problem with tape player, Atmos or tape. I'll need to look back at Backgammon but I remember loading it in slow. (I think again the fast may have been a problem.)

I liked this version of Backgammon better than IJK so I used to load it, but I think it was difficult to get onto disk.

I'll have another try later. Frustrated by failing Oric system :cry:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Steve M wrote:I got Orical Invaders and Orical Backgammon out.
If you wish to, you can send me the tapes, and I'll do my best to convert them to TAP.
Oh, and send them back to you ;-)

EDIT: BTW, re-transfered my own tape last weekend, and managed to run it finally. But still not sure it's not an altered version.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Brief post, away for weekend so using mobile. Orical invaders in Gamebase is an error free transfer from an original I used to own. No need to transfer it again :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Depends ;)
Look at Super Advanced Breakout for instance, there were several different versions with almost similar packaging. But when the racket hits the ball, there are many more angle possibilities in the 2nd version than in the 1st.
Looks like it could be the same for Orical Backgammon. So I wouldn't mind trying another tape of Orical Invaders! (not a top priority though, I agree)
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Symoon wrote:Depends ;)
Look at Super Advanced Breakout for instance, there were several different versions with almost similar packaging. But when the racket hits the ball, there are many more angle possibilities in the 2nd version than in the 1st.
Looks like it could be the same for Orical Backgammon. So I wouldn't mind trying another tape of Orical Invaders! (not a top priority though, I agree)
Fair point and interesting to hear about breakout, I have half a dozen copies of that. Will have to check them all.