Ultima Zone

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
greenslider
Private

Ultima Zone

Post by greenslider »

Hi , I've just joined up..was going through the attic and found my atmos not totally dead..no leads though...ho does one connect the Video end up these days? also.has anyone seen a version of Ultima zone that works on oricutron?...I just downloaded oricutron onto the desktop and when i took Ultima zone from the oric int. site the controls wouldnt work?
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Ultima Zone

Post by Dbug »

For connecting the Oric to the TV you can use something like that:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oric-1-Atmos-Hi ... 3a78f99b1c
I've not used these myself but some users here reported they were of good quality and working well.
(Now, some recent tv models tend to be annoying and have problems with old computers, so it may not work on your brand new 80" LED tv)

About Ultima Zone, I tried the atmos version on Oricutron, and indeed it seems like it does not work. When I tried the same version in Euphoric it did work, so I guess that's one bug for monsieur Xeron :)
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

The Ultima Zone issue isn't really a bug. I submitted this as an issue on the Oricutron website and here's what Xeron replied after investigating :-

"This wasn't really a bug in Oricutron. For some reason the default config file at some point got changed to have IJK joystick enabled (it should be no joystick).

This games joystick routine activates the IJK joystick interface, but then reads the joystick as an ALTAI. This would work fine with an ALTAI interface, but on IJK it sees the fire button always down, so the game starts.

Just change the joystick to "altai" or "none" in oricutron.cfg.

I have modified the default ready for the next release."
greenslider
Private

Post by greenslider »

Thanks folks...Indeed it worked.."none" produced no change , however altai produced the result. I have alot of these games on original cassette..doubt if they work now though. Remarkable to see that folk are getting a kick out of programming on these old machines.That site has alot of old games on it..never could get the ultra to work on the atmos though! As for the hobbit..just as well it insn functional or the kids wouldnt forgive me!