Space Invaders (Midway)

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Space Invaders (Midway)

Post by dave3622 »

I've just found a file on Fabrice Frances website called 'Midway' which when loaded into Oricutron appears to be a 100% accurate version of "Space Invaders" (minus sound). Does anyone know if there is any way to play this? I assume it is emulated due to it's slow speed but it looks fantastic when Oricutron is set on warp mode :D

Even if it isn't playable I find it fascinating and it just goes to show that the Oric is capable of a near perfect conversion of the game.
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Space Invaders (Midway)

Post by Symoon »

As far as I can recall, Fabrice had indeed emulated the game on Oric. I recall he wrote 1 or 2 articles about it, but can't remember when it was (I'd say around 2000?).
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Can you show us the link? I'd like to see it too ..

Space Invaders was one of the first games I tried to write on Oric, (lost my tapes grr..) and I recall using a mix of BASIC and Assembly to do things .. scrolling/char-redefine was done with assembly, setup and scoring and so on in BASIC. Wish I had those tapes ..
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

http://oric.free.fr/TAPES/

It's the file named 'midway'. Load it into Oricutron, set to 2000% speed and prepare to be amazed!!
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Cool thanks .. wonder why its so slow ..
Scarlett
Private

Post by Scarlett »

A last thing to know : If none of the Joystick switches is actuated, then the six inputs will be at logic state 1. It means that when a switch is actuated, the logic status of the corresponding input changes to 0. To know the status of the JS you just have to read the port A of VIA. (LDA$301)

My JS routine simulates the use of the following Keyboard keys: left, right, up and down arrows for movements and Space bar for shoots.
All these keys are situated on the row 4 of the Matrix Keyboard. That means that the oricium keyboard routine write a value corresponding to the key pressed in $3BCC ( $3BC8,X with X=4). The values to write for each keys are:

Letf arrow : 20 (bit pattern, in positiv logic, of Matrix column in VIA PORT A )
Right arrow : 80
Up arrow : 08
Down arrow : 40
Space bar : 01
You can get score highest marks in Braindumps.com exam using College of the Holy Cross and COMPTIA which are prepared by top certified professionals, University of Pennsylvania wireless training; both are marvelous in their Facebook