Oric Kong 2013

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
maximus
Flying Officer

Re: Oric Kong 2013

Post by maximus »

It works so fine :D

coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Seems to be faster than basic version !
An Oric Kong for keyboard experts ...
Good job. Reading your code is a good exercice.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
ellis
Private

Post by ellis »

Hi,

I'm the original author of the ORIC Kong game published in TILT Magazine.

I recently discovered the oric.org website and the various links to ORIC KONG, like this forum post.

I'm really surprised to see people speaking about this game so many years later !

I wrote it during my summer holidays when I was something like 17 (I'm... 48 now), because I was a huge fan of the Arcade Game Donkey Kong/Crazy Kong and dreamed to play it on my Oric.

There was an Arcade place near my house and I spent hours taking notes in front of the original games (there was no digital camera at this time :D ), I even recorded the sound effects with a portable tape recorder :lol:

TILT and other magazines (like Hebdogiciel) occasionally asked me for games (I also wrote the game "Les petits pois mexicains" for the Casio PB700 in the same TILT issue).

But the guy I worked with for TILT was a freelance writer, and I discovered later he sold my games under his name.
As my father was a lawyer, he contacted TILT and we reached an agreement where they published on a later issue that this game was written by me.

I also wrote later the game "La cité interdite", using some of the same "code" and sprites as in ORIC KONG :
http://www.oric.org/index.php?page=soft ... m_log=1587

Congrats to vrozos for the C version !
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

Bravo Bravo Bravo, j'ai moi aussi tapé ce jeu à sa sortie :D

un hommage: http://www.oricgames.com/edito,fr,112,92.html
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Hi ellis, *REALLY* great that you could join us! I never in my teens would have thought I'd *ever* find a way to communicate with the authors of these type-ins, but I recall typing in ORIC KONG on my Oric-1, one of the first in Australia, during a particularly strong stormy season at our house on the beach. The power kept going out! I was *SO* happy to finally finish the type-in for ORIC KONG that I promptly saved it .. and didn't play it for a few days. When I later loaded up the tape I thought was blank (had neglected to label it in the storm) and discovered ORIC KONG, then finally played it, I thought it was AMAZING! Such an inspiration ..

Anyway, code like yours was definitely a reason I got into computers, and those days were really motivating. So, great to meet you!
vrozos
Officer Cadet

Post by vrozos »

I am right now reading Bob Pape's "It's Behind you". It seems like fraud in IT business was a common practice back in those days :)

Anyway, I think that what we are all trying to do by Oricing these days is a nostalgic contact with our early youth.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

vrozos wrote:I am right now reading Bob Pape's "It's Behind you". It seems like fraud in IT business was a common practice back in those days :)

Anyway, I think that what we are all trying to do by Oricing these days is a nostalgic contact with our early youth.
Nostalgia is of course a part of it, but for my part there's also the fact that there are the last types of machines that one person can reasonably have a full control of, either at hardware or software level, you can learn and master everything there is to know about the machine, including things the original designers did not even think of.

That's a comforting intellectual challenge, a bit like the writers of the earliest encyclopedias who basically actually knew almost everything that was known at the time they lived in :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'm with you Dbug, one of the motivations is nostalgia - sure - but on the flipside, I hope that I can one day train my kids on how these 8-bit machines worked, and even still be doing cool things with them long into the future. I think that the complexity and cognitive load of modern machines just makes it even less interesting to study computers - but the 80's scene was one of the most interesting and accessible periods in this technology, it makes no sense to see it all fade away .. keep the Oric glory alive!
ellis
Private

Post by ellis »

Thanks for your messages :wink:

Ibisum, your post remind me that one day, while working on Oric Kong, my tape recorder had a problem and I was unable to save the version I had spent the day working on. I managed to connect my Oric to a VCR we had in the house, and saved the listing on the audio part of the videotape !

Dbug, I agree with you on the idea those computers were great because you were able to know every part of their ROM and the way they worked.