Prince of Persia

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Dbug
Site Admin

Prince of Persia

Post by Dbug »

Hi,
not sure if this has been posted before, but apparently in 2009 Jordan Mechner released the source code of this Apple II version of Prince of Persia.
Wonder how hard this would be to port on the Oric ?

- http://jordanmechner.com/blog/2009/05/p ... -released/
- http://www.scribd.com/doc/49127548/Prin ... Code-Notes

If the notes are correct, it looks the game was using 128k on the Apple II ?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Actually found out that there is a C64 version of the game made from these sources, here is the developer's blog:
http://popc64.blogspot.com/
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

There's been some discussion of the new C64 Prince of Persia release over at the Retro Gamer forum. As it stands, its paging data in from external memory so an Oric port would I assume need to be a disk only release, or make large reductions from the standard game.

We should have the C64 version playable at Replay next month.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

It is possible to do it disk-based. The Oric can load parts of data from disk quite quickly, so I guess that it should not be the problem (though I have not had a look at the sources, so I don't know which data is being paged and how often).

What worries me more is the sprite drawing. I bet they are using hardware sprites. I am not sure we can have such a smooth animation with software sprites of that size, but it could be... Twilighte was able to do a very nice animation in IM, though with no double-buffering.

It would, anyway, be a very nice project with a lot of challenges... Anybody wants to jump in? :)
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

I'm about to start work on a "dancing-skeleton" demo, if I can get the animation right I'll volunteer my services to animate the prince... :)
Check out the new animation in Viking Chess :wink:
Well, it's a start anyway!... :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Chema wrote:It is possible to do it disk-based. The Oric can load parts of data from disk quite quickly, so I guess that it should not be the problem (though I have not had a look at the sources, so I don't know which data is being paged and how often).

What worries me more is the sprite drawing. I bet they are using hardware sprites. I am not sure we can have such a smooth animation with software sprites of that size, but it could be... Twilighte was able to do a very nice animation in IM, though with no double-buffering.

It would, anyway, be a very nice project with a lot of challenges... Anybody wants to jump in? :)
There is no such things as "hardware sprite" on the Apple II, but the framebuffer is a bit easier to use than the Oric one ;)
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

Godzil wrote:There is no such things as "hardware sprite" on the Apple II, but the framebuffer is a bit easier to use than the Oric one ;)
That interleaved memory mess on the Apple II is actually easier to use than one on something else? (keels over from shock)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Chema wrote:It is possible to do it disk-based. The Oric can load parts of data from disk quite quickly, so I guess that it should not be the problem (though I have not had a look at the sources, so I don't know which data is being paged and how often).

Hehe, that old acorn again?
I worked on this game many, many years ago around the time i was writing Magnetix, so not so advanced in Machine code.
I still have some mockup sprite frames somewhere. B&W offcourse but could be interesting.
I will try and dig them out and stick a link here.

I think even the original POP is possible on Oric Tape only but a disk version would offer much more resources.